Kevin Steinhaus of Kerkhoven-Murdock-Sunburg is this year’s MWCA Mr. Minnesota of Wrestling it was announced today.
The Minnesota Wrestling Coaches Association annually presents the Mr. Minnesota High School Wrestler award to the senior that best exemplifies the highest ideals of high school wrestling in Minnesota. Judging is based on past performances, citizenship, academics, leadership, and adherence to MSHSL rules.
Steinhaus is a three-time state champion and a five-time placewinner. He won the Class A 160 pound title this year, the 152 pound title as a junior, and the 145 pound title as a sophomore. Kevin also placed third at 130 pounds as a freshman and second at 112 pounds as an eighth grader. He ended his high school career second on the all-time wins list with a 246-12 record (95.34%) and was undefeated (136-0) in his last three seasons.
Steinhaus will continue his wrestling career in college next year with the Minnesota Gophers.
MWCA Mr. Minnesota Wrestlers:
- 2009 – Kevin Steinhaus, Kerkhoven-Murdock-Sunburg
- 2008 – Jake Deitchler, Anoka
- 2007 – Zach Sanders, Wabasha-Kellogg
- 2006 – Mike Thorn, Saint Michael-Albertville
- 2005 – Nate Matousek, Glencoe-Silver Lake
- 2004 – Charlie Falck, Apple Valley
- 2003 – Eric Sanders, Wabasha-Kellogg
- 2002 – Jeff Pfaffinger, Blue Earth Area
- 2001 – Marcus LeVesseur, Bloomington Kennedy
- 2000 – Nate Baker, Jackson County Central
- 1999 – Jacob Volkmann, Battle Lake-Underwood-Henning
- 1998 – Luke Becker, Cambridge-Isanti
- 1997 – Chad Erickson, AppleValley
- 1996 – Dan Duncombe, St. Michael-Albertville
- 1995 – Jon Fitzgerald, Martin County West
- 1994 – Chad Kraft, HLOL
- 1993 – Brandon Howe, Totino Grace
- 1992 – Brandon Paulson, Anoka
- 1991 – Chad Nelson, Stewartville
- 1990 – Chad Carlson, Willmar