Jan. 21 – #3 SCSU at #1 Nebraska Omaha, 7 p.m.
Jan. 22 – #3 SCSU at Southwest Minnesota State, 7 p.m.
- #3 St. Cloud State University (12-1) will battle #1 ranked Nebraska Omaha at 7 p.m. on Jan. 21 in Omaha, Neb. SCSU will complete the weekend with a trip to Southwest Minnesota State at 7 p.m. on Jan. 22.
- WATCH ON THE WEB! The upcoming match at #1 Nebraska Omaha on Jan. 21 will be available for free viewing on the web at this location: http://live.upstreamnetworks.com/16345-70149
- The Huskies were ranked #3 in the latest DII Coaches’ Poll behind Nebraska Omaha. Here is a rundown of SCSU’s nationally ranked wrestlers in 2010-11: Jacob D. Horn (#4 at 149-pounds), John Sundgren (#5 at 157-pounds), Tad Merritt (#2 at 165-pounds), Shamus O’Grady (#7 at 174-pounds), and Jake Kahnke (#1 at 285-pounds). The poll was released on Jan. 19.
- St. Cloud State posted a 37-6 win at UW-Eau Claire on Jan. 15, and the Huskies also gained a 24-12 win at #6 St. John’s University on Jan. 14. Luke Munkelwitz enjoyed a strong weekend for the Huskies with a major decision win over UW-EC’s Luke Ortscheid and a 10-3 win over #10 ranked Tony Willaert of SJU at 197-pounds. Munkelwitz is now 12-3 on the season for the Huskies.
- Junior Tad Merritt continues to lead the Huskies this season with 23 victories (23-3) and 11 pins. Merritt is ranked #2 in the nation. Of note, SCSU has 76 pins as a team this season.
- SCSU is 280-154 in individual matches this season. The team individual match winning rate is an impressive 64.5% this winter.
- At 285-pounds, Jake Kahnke held on to his #1 ranking this winter with a win against SJU. Kahnke now owns a 16-1 record this year. He is slated to meet up with #8 ranked Taylor Escamilla at the UNO dual on Jan. 21.
- SCSU has 13 wrestlers with double-digit win totals this winter. Merritt leads the group with 23 wins, while Shamus O’Grady (174-pounds) has 19 wins this winter and Jacob D. Horn (149-pounds) has 17 wins in 2010-11.
- Mark Jan. 30 on your calendars as the Huskies will return to Halenbeck Hall on that date for a 2 p.m. date against Minnesota State, Moorhead. The match has been designated as SCSU Wrestling Alumni Day with a special alumni reception to follow the match. Interested Alumni should contact Coach Costanzo at 320-308-2996 for more information on this event.
- SCSU placed 3rd at the 2011 NWCA Division II National Duals on Jan. 8-9. The third place finish is the best in team history for the Huskies at the DII National Duals.
- The St. Cloud State University wrestling team (14-7, 5-2 NSIC/3rd) captured 7th place at the 2010 NCAA Division II wrestling championships on March 12-13, in Omaha, Neb. This marks the Huskies best NCAA finish since capturing 7th place in 1983. This also marked the best finish for the Huskies at the NCAA tournament since Steve Costanzo took over as head coach in 2006-07. This marked the 8th time since 1975 that SCSU has charted a top-10 place at the NCAA championships. The 7th place finish is the best ever for the Huskies at the NCAA DII level. SCSU placed eighth at the nationals in 2009, 1986 and 1976. SCSU also placed third at nationals during the 1963 and 1965 seasons as an NAIA affiliate.
- The Huskies qualified 8 wrestlers for the NCAA championships in 2010. SCSU wrestlers earning All-America status at the meet were Jacob Kahnke (4th place at 285), Tad Merritt (5th place at 165), Shamus O’Grady (6th place at 174) and Gabe Suarez (8th place at 141). This marked the first All-America finish for Kahnke, O’Grady and Suarez, while Merritt is now a two-time All-America award winner for the Huskies. The four All-Americans ties a team record for the Huskies, as SCSU also brought home four NCAA All-America honors in 1983 and 1975.
- The Huskies will have two major targets on the wrestling room wall this season. First up is the 2011 NCAA Regional championships on Feb. 27 in Sioux Falls, S.D. This tournament serves as a qualifier for the other big date – March 11-12, which is the 2011 NCAA DII championships.