By Chad Shilson, MN/USA Wrestling – Girls’/Womens’ Director and Coach
Minnesota recently sent sixteen girls to the 2011 USAW Girls Folkstyle Nationals, held at Oklahoma City University in Oklahoma City, OK. It was the largest contingency of girls ever sent to the tournament from Minnesota. The previous two years saw eight (2010) and four (2009) Minnesota girls making the trip. This year’s group represented ten different wrestling clubs throughout the state.
In all, Minnesota earned 14 medals of the 16 girls that competed throughout the Friday and Saturday event. The tournament continues to grow in popularity. Although the numbers are relatively low compared to the Kids Folkstyle Nationals, which is held in Cedar Falls each year, competition has improved from year to year, making it a must for all female athletes.
Makayla Welch, Rum River Wrestling, 80 pounds Girls Div II, won her first ever girls national title with a bye in the first round, a pin in the semi finals and another pin in the finals.
Emily Shilson, PINnacle, 60 pounds Girls Div II, won her third straight girls national title with a pin in the first round followed by another pin in the second round.
Sarah Tison, Osseo Youth Wrestling, 110 pounds Girls Div II and Haylie Bonham, Hawley Wrestling, 60 pounds Girls Div II, both concluded the tournament with runner-up finishes.
Minnesota’s National Tournament Team
- Sarah Tison – Osseo Youth Wrestling
- Natalia Schack – Osseo Youth Wrestling
- Brooke Powell – Osseo Youth Wrestling
- Emily Shilson – PINnacle
- Makayla Welch – Rum River Wrestling
- Summer Rockstroh – Pine City
- Mackenzie Sloan – North St. Paul
- Madelynn Sloan – North St. Paul
- Devyn Johnson – Osakis
- Kristina Erickson – Cloquet
- Jolynne Denman – Cloquet
- Julia Carlson – Buffalo
- Megan Line – Coon Rapids Mat Bandits
- Aubrie Klink – Coon Rapids Mat Bandits
- Savannah Westerberg – Coon Rapids Mat Bandits
- Haylie Bonham – Hawley Wrestling
For more information about Girls’/Womens’ Wrestling in Minnesota, please contact Chad Shilson at email@example.com or 612-791-1120