Brandon Kingsley of Apple Valley is Minnesota Selection
STILLWATER, Okla. — The National Wrestling Hall of Fame & Museum has selected its 2012 state and regional winners of the Dave Schultz High School Excellence Award. The award is part of the Hall of Fame’s Educational Outreach Program. Forty-nine seniors from those states that sponsor high school state wrestling championships have been chosen for the honor.
The high school excellence award is named in honor of the late Olympic and world champion Dave Schultz. Each award recipient is evaluated on excellence in wrestling, scholastic achievement, citizenship and community service.
A graduate of Palo Alto High School in California and the University of Oklahoma, Dave Schultz was regarded as a tireless competitor and a supreme technician on the mat. He was beloved throughout the world of amateur wrestling for his friendliness and his eagerness to lend help or advice to teammates and opponents alike. Schultz was tragically murdered in 1996. He was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame as a Distinguished Member in 1997.
“Dave Schultz was one of the most respected wrestlers the United States has ever had as a high school, collegiate, world and Olympic champion,” said Lee Roy Smith, Executive Director of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame.
Since the Dave Schultz High School Excellence Award’s inception in 1996, the National Wrestling Hall of Fame has recognized 726 student-wrestlers. The national award winner will be chosen from the regional winners and announced on April 30. The winner will attend the annual hall of fame induction ceremony on June 1 and 2 to accept the award.
“These student-wrestlers are role models who influence young people in a very meaningful way,” said Smith. “Statistics show that both male and female students are more likely to stay in school, graduate and become more productive citizens when they participate in extra-curricular activities and after school programs like wrestling.”
The five regional winners are:
Central Region: Kyle Crutchmer is a two-time Oklahoma High School State Champion with a career record of 155-19 with 78 career pins at Tulsa Union High School in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He claimed four USA Wrestling Junior National Freestyle All-American honors and a 2011 National Jr. Freestyle title. He also earned two FILA Cadet All-American honors. He was selected to the 2012 Dapper Dan USA Team and is a member of the Tulsa Union High School Leadership Program and Redskin Aid Opportunity Team. He maintains a 3.3 GPA and will be attending Oklahoma State University this coming fall as a projected 165-184 pounder.
Midwest Region: Taylor Massa is a four-time Michigan High School State Champion with a record of 231-0 at St. John’s High School in St. John’s, Michigan. He is a two-time USAW Junior FILA National Champion and a 2011 FILA Junior Freestyle World Team member. He claimed four Cadet National titles and was an Asics first team All-American. He is also a member of the St. John’s High School Renaissance Club, multiple trimester Honor Roll member, and Catholic Confirmation Cadet Sponsor. He maintains 3.67 GPA and will attend the University of Michigan this coming fall as a projected 165-174 pounder.
Northeast Region: Jimmy Gulibon is a four-time Pennsylvania High School State Champion with a career record of 137-4 at Derry High School in Derry, Pennsylvania. He claimed an individual title at the 2011 Ironman Championships and was selected for the 2012 Dapper Dan Pennsylvania Team and USA Dream Team Classic. He is a member of the Derry High School Honor Roll and spearheaded a fundraising effort for pediatric cancer patients this past wrestling season in Derry. He volunteers his services with local youth at the Young Guns Wrestling Club. He maintains a 3.5 GPA and will be attending Penn State University this coming fall as a projected 125-133 pounder.
Southeast Region: Rossi Bruno is a five-time Florida High School State Champion with a career record of 248-3 at Brandon High School in Brandon, Florida. He was selected for the 2012 USA Dream Team Classic. He was a 2011 and 2010 USAW Junior Greco-Roman National Champion and a 2011 Junior Freestyle All-American. Bruno is a certified USA Wrestling Official and has officiated for the Florida Armature Wrestling Association in State Tournaments. He is a member of Brandon High School National Honor Society and maintains a 4.3 weighted GPA. He will be attending the University of Michigan this coming fall as a projected 125-133 pounder.
West Region: Jordan Rogers is a three-time Washington High School State Champion at Meade High School in Spokane, Washington. He was selected to the 2012 USA Dapper Dan and USA Dream Team Classic. He’s earned USAW Junior and Cadet Freestyle and Greco-Roman All-American honors and claimed a Silver Medal at the 2010 Youth Olympic Games in freestyle. He’s a member and leader of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes at Meade H.S. and is an Athlete Representative for USA Wrestling Washington, Volunteer Coach for the Big Cat Youth Wrestling Club, and Associated Student Body Member at Meade High School. He maintains a 4.0 GPA and will attend Oklahoma State University this coming fall as a projected 184 pounder.
The 2012 Winners by State, Name and School are:
- Alabama, Dillon Campbell, Oak Grove High School
- Alaska, Jared Miller, Dillingham High School
- Arizona, Trey Andrews, Safford High School
- Arkansas, O’Dell Lee, Bryant High School
- California, Alex Cisneros, Selma High School
- Colorado, Dwight Howes, Arvada High School
- Connecticut, R.J. LaBeef, Pomfret School
- Delaware, Kaleb LeMaire, Cesar Rodney High School
- Florida, Rossi Bruno, Brandon High School
- Georgia, Dalvin Tomlinson, Henry County High School
- Hawaii, Cassidy Oshiro, Maryknoll School
- Idaho, Raymond Evans, New Plymouth High School
- Illinois, Zane Richards, Carbondale Community High School
- Indiana, Jason Tsirtsis, Crown Point High School
- Iowa, John Meeks, Roosevelt High School
- Kansas, Matthew Reed, Wichita Heights High School
- Kentucky, John Fahy, Trinity High School
- Louisiana, Scott Gibbons, Archbishop Rummel High School
- Maine, Ethan Gilman, Massabesic High School
- Maryland, Nathan Kraisser, Centenial High School
- Massachusetts, Jeffery Ott, Belmont Hill School
- Michigan, Taylor Massa, St. Johns High School
- Minnesota, Brandon Kingsley, Apple Valley High School
- Missouri, Austin Roper, Kirksville High School
- Montana, Ben Stroh, Chinook High School
- Nebraska, Thomas Gilman, Skutt Catholic High School
- Nevada, Jace Billingsley, Lowry High School
- New Hampshire, Zack Bridson, Timberlane High School
- New Jersey, Mark Grey, Blair Academy
- New Mexico, Eric Montoya, Volcono Vista High School
- New York, Brian Realbuto, Somers High School
- North Carolina, Tony DeAngelo, Southern Alamance High School
- North Dakota, Jared Reis, Napoleon High School
- Ohio, Nick Tavanello, Wadsworth High School
- Oklahoma, Kyle Crutchmer, Tulsa Union High School
- Oregon, Zack Brunson, Churchill High School
- Pennsylvania, Jimmy Gulibon, Derry High School
- Rhode Island, Stephen Jarrell, East Greewich High School
- South Carolina, Jordon Wigger, Summerville High School
- South Dakota, Alex Kocer, Wagner High School
- Tennessee, Zach Watson, Baylor School
- Texas, Nicholas Herrmann, Tascosa High School
- Utah, Brandon McBride, Olympus High School
- Vermont, Zak Hale, Mt Anthony Union High School
- Virginia, Brooks Martino, Robinson Secondary School
- Washington, Jordon Rogers, Mead High School
- West Virginia, Dylan Cottrell, Roane County High School
- Wisconsin, Jarod Donar, Cuba City High School
- Wyoming, Jordon Hanson, Lander Valley High School