The North Suburban Parochial School League 2002 Wrestling Championships were held on Saturday, March 23 at Totino-Grace High School, in Fridley. Twelve (parochial /private) schools participated in the league this season. Epiphany of Coon Rapids (214.5 pts) ran away with the team title as the “Stars” displayed a balanced team effort placing wrestlers among the top six at 14 of 15 weight classes. St. Odilia of Shoreview (159.5) and Meadow Creek Christian School of Andover (158.5) battled it out for second and third just ahead of fourth place winner, St. Stephen’s of Anoka (150.5). The cooperative team of St. Odilia/St. Johnís won the dual meet title over Meadow Creek/Alliance Academy (43-39) on March 19th at Meadow Creek, with St. Stephen’s finishing third ahead of Trinity at River Ridge, in the dual meet season.
St. Odilia’s Tony Sadder completed his final NSPSL season with a fourth title, as the eighth grader was also named the league’s “Most Outstanding Wrestler” following a dominant performance as he dominated the 118 pound class. Epiphanyí’s Joe Sweet (100 lbs) earned his third championship, with Alliance Academy’s Ross Cazett (72 lbs) and Trinity’s Joe Murphy (90 lbs) both repeating to become two time winners.
Notes: NSPSL (St. Odilia) alumni David Sadder (Sr/36-1) became Totino-Grace’s fourth individual to win a state high school league championship when he claimed the130 pound title, under coach Doug Svihel. Former NSPSL (St. Vincent’s) wrestler Erin Daugherty was TG’s first MSHSL state champion, winning back to back titles in 1990 and 1991, at 125 and 130 lbs. The NSPSL has produced three state champions (four championships) to date. Daugherty and Patrick Smith of Osseo (St. Vincent’s), 1994 state champ at 140 lbs, are now joined by Sadder in this elite club. Abe Olson of Trinity (40-6/Jr) became his school’s first ever state medalist with a sixth place finish at 145A under the mentorship of coach, Pat Murphy.
Other NSPSL wrestling alumni at the 2002 state tournament:
Alliance Christian Academy – David Cunningham of Meadow Creek/Alliance Academy (39-6/So) 5th place at 103A and Jason Cazett of MCAA (40-7/Jr) 5th at 119A – 2x place-winner, under coach Darrell Skog.
Meadow Creek Christian – Nathan Savering of Champlin Park (33-9/Jr) /4th at Hwt~3A.
Pat McNamara – TG/St. Odilia (30-6/Sr) qualifier at 112~3A.
Jake Beyer – TG/Epiphany (29-6/So) qualifier at 119 3A 2001 Placer 6th at 103.
Charlie Sadder – TG/St. Odilia (36-3/Sr) 6th at 125 3A.
Jake Sweet – TG/Epiphany (22-4/Fr) qualifier 135 3A.
Jeff Snegosky – TG/St. Raphaelís (32-6/Sr) qualifier at145 3A..2001 Placer 6th at145.
Several other former NSPSL wrestlers competed at State for the “Eagles” 6th place-winning team.
2002 North Suburban Parochial School League Wrestling Results
|TEAM STANDINGS…DUAL MEETS|
|(Red Division) /Co-ops|
|1. St. Odilia/John’s|
|2. Meadow Creek/Alliance|
|3). Risen Christ/Minnehaha|
|4. St. AL’s/Raphael’s|
|(Blue Division) /Classic|
|1. St. Stephen’s|
|2. Trinity at River Ridge|
|4. St. Vincent de Paul|
NSPSL Dual Meet Championship Final: St. Odilia/John’s 43, Meadow Creek/Alliance 39
NSPSL Dual Meet Third Place Final: St. Stephen’s 48, Trinity@River Ridge 24
~Dual Meet “Final Four” 3/19 at Meadow Creek.
|2. St. Odilia||159.5|
|3. Meadow Creek Christian||158.5|
|4. St. Stephen’s||150.5|
|5. St. Vincent de Paul||22.5|
|6. St. John’s||117|
|7. Trinity at River Ridge||92.5|
|8. Risen Christ||53|
|9. Alliance Christian Academy||49|
|10. Minnehaha Academy||42.5|
|11. St. Raphael’s||30|
|12. St. Alphonsus||22|
- *185 NSPSL Wrestling Participants /2002
- Tournaments at MCC and TGHS (3/22 & 3/23).
- League Director: Dan Vandermyde.
- Tourn. Coordinators: Darrell Skog & Doug Svihel.
- 2002 INDIVIDUAL NSPSL TOURNAMENT MEDALISTS
- 68 LBS
- 1. Cody Lensing (St. John’s)
- 2. Ethan Skog (Meadow Creek)
- 3. Patrick Cotter (St. Stephen’s)
- 4. Doug Pouliot (Epiphany)
- 5. Joe Bulger (Trinity)
- 6. Zachary Quam (St. Vincent dP)
- 72 LBS
- 1. Ross Cazett (Alliance Academy)
- 2. J.R. Johnston (St. John’s)
- 3. Jeff Fahey (Epiphany)
- 4. Joey Kinnan (St. Stephen’s)
- 5. Tommy Tiegen (Meadow Creek)
- 6. Peter Edge (Trinity)
- 76 LBS
- 1. Matt Philips (St. Vincent dP)
- 2. Andy Quance (St. Odilia)
- 3. Joe Gomez (Epiphany)
- 4. Patrick Jaeger (St. Stephen’s)
- 5. Chris Klein (St. Vincent dP)*
- 6. Joel McDougal (Minnehaha Acd)
- 80 LBS
- 1. Dustin Metcalf (St. Vincent dP)
- 2. Nick Schuler (St. Odilia)
- 3. Andrew Boldt (St. Stephen’s)
- 4. Luke Olson (Trinity)
- 5. Richard Schwantes (Epiphany)
- 6. Mark Biederman (Alliance Acd)
- 85 LBS
- 1. Matt Piersak (St. Odilia)
- 2. Marcus Milles (Epiphany)
- 3. Micah Olson (Trinity)
- 4. Peter Heggesteun (Trinity)*
- 5. Mathew Acker (St. Vincent dP)
- 6. Andrew Erickson (Alliance Acd)
- 90 LBS
- 1. Joe Murphy (Trinity)
- 2. Parker Tornell (Epiphany)
- 3. David Pinewski (Meadow Creek)
- 4. Darren Pawlicheck (St. John’s)
- 5. Garin Hogan (Epiphany)*
- 6. Mitch Arnet (St. Vincent dP)
- 95 LBS
- 1. Kyle Brown (St. Alphonsus)
- 2. Kyle Plaisance (Meadow Creek)
- 3. Mark Kobelinski (St. Stephen’s)
- 4. Spencer Radzieg (St. Odilia)
- 5. T.J. Lewis (Epiphany)
- 6. Patrick McLaughlin (St. Vincent dP)
- 100 LBS
- 1. Joe Sweet (Epiphany)
- 2. Andrew Jansen (St. Odilia)
- 3. Tommy Matlon (St. Stephen’s)
- 4. Diego LaLa (Risen Christ)
- 5. Alex Bryan (Minnehaha Academy)
- 6. Anthony Acker (St. Vincent dP)
- 105 LBS
- 1. Brandon Neeck (St. John’s)
- 2. Andrew Jaeger (St. Stephen’s)
- 3. Josh Johnson (Meadow Creek)
- 4. Preston Sturm (Epiphany)
- 5. Yeng Yang (Risen Christ)
- 6. David Boldt (St. Stephen’s)*
- 112 LBS
- 1. Cosie Egan (St. Vincent dP)
- 2. Tony Schuler (St. Odilia)
- 3. David Jaeger (St. Stephen’s)
- 4. James Jensen (Epiphany)
- 5. Steve Sattler (Trinity)
- 6. Johnny Haakenson (St. Stephen’s)*
- 118 LBS
- 1. Tony Sadder (St. Odilia)
- 2. Chris Rother (St. John’s)
- 3. Ryan Braaten (Epiphany)
- 4. Chris Quicksall (St. Odilia)*
- 5. Ryan Levin (Meadow Creek)
- 6. Artie Leighton (Trinity)
- 125 LBS
- 1. Matt Nicol (St. Odilia)
- 2. Peter DeMarais (Trinity)
- 3. Taylor Olson (Meadow Creek)
- 4. Daniel Cunningham (Alliance Acd)
- 5. Erik VandenAvond (Epiphany)
- 6. Peter Weinberger (St. John’s)
- 135 LBS
- 1. David Hauge (Minnehaha Acd)
- 2. Ryan Wagner (St. Raphael’s)
- 3. Ben Johnson (St. Stephen’s)
- 4. Pat Ludwig (St. John’s)
- 5. Tim Solberg (Meadow Creek)
- 6. Alex Haluska (St. Vincent dP)
- 145 LBS
- 1. Tony Pastoors (Epiphany)
- 2. Lionell Callies (Meadow Creek)
- 3. Rafael Begazo (Risen Christ)
- 4. Jon Zitur (St. Vincent dP)
- 5. Peter Jorgenson (St. Stephen’s)
- 6. Shawn Morter (Alliance Acd)
- 1. Tyler Benz (Meadow Creek)
- 2. Wally Voss (Epiphany)
- 3. Tim McNamara (Risen Christ)
- 4. Tom Harm (St. Raphael’s)
- 5. Randy Reszel (St. Vincent dP)
- 6. uncontested.
- *Wild Card Entries.
- NSPSL “Most Outstanding Wrestler” 2002…Tony Sadder (St. Odilia)…118 lbs.