Nate Matousek of Glencoe (Glencoe-Silver Lake H.S.) was named Minnesota Wrestling Coaches Association (MWCA) Mr. Minnesota of Wrestling at the MWCA Dave Bartelma Hall of Fame Banquet held at Augsburg College on March 13, 2005.
The MWCA annually presents the Mr. Minnesota High School Wrestler award to the senior that best exemplifies the highest ideals of high school wrestling in Minnesota. Judging is based on past performances, citizenship, academics, leadership, and adherence to MSHSL rules. Finalists for this year’s award included Zach Bigboy and Jayson Ness of Bloomington Kennedy, Richard Fessler of Apple Valley, Nick Kulseth of Windom Area/Butterfield-Odin/Mountain Lake, and Andy Przekwas of Roseau.
Matousek is a three-time state champion. He competed in the state tournament every year since debuting at 119 pounds as a seventh grader. He won the Class AA 160 pound title this year and 152 pound titles the previous two years. Nate also placed fifth as an eighth grader at 130 pounds.
On February 1st, Matousek broke Minnesota’s all-time high school career wins record with his 234th win. He ended his high school career with a 243-13 record, including 131 falls (#3 all-time pins). He also ended his high school competition on a 119 match winning streak (#4 all-time consecutive wins).
Matousek was named to the 2005 MWCA Academic All-State Wrestling Team with a 3.30 GPA. He will continue his wrestling career in college next year with the Minnesota Gophers.
Mr. Minnesota Wrestler Winners
- 2023 – Max McEnelly of Waconia
- 2022 – Bennett Berge of Kasson-Mantorville
- 2021 – Derrick Cardinal of Forest Lake
- 2020 – Craig Orlando of Bertha-Hewitt/Verndale/Parkers Prairie
- 2019 – Greg Kerkvliet of Simley
- 2018 – Gable Steveson of Apple Valley
- 2017 – Brady Berge of Kasson-Mantorville
- 2016 – Mark Hall of Apple Valley
- 2015 – Lance Benick of Totino-Grace
- 2014 – Tommy Thorn of St. Michael-Albertville
- 2013 – Jake Short of Simley
- 2012 – Michael Kroells of Scott West
- 2011 – Matt Kelliher of Apple Valley
- 2010 – Dylan Ness of Bloomington Kennedy
- 2009 – Kevin Steinhaus of Kerkhoven-Murdock-Sunburg
- 2008 – Jake Deitchler of Anoka
- 2007 – Zach Sanders of Wabasha-Kellogg
- 2006 – Mike Thorn of St. Michael-Albertville
- 2005 – Nathan Matousek of Glencoe-Silver Lake
- 2004 – Charlie Falck of Apple Valley
- 2003 – Eric Sanders of Wabasha-Kellogg
- 2002 – Jeff Pfaffinger of Blue Earth Area
- 2001 – Marcus LeVesseur of Bloomington Kennedy
- 2000 – Nate Baker of Jackson County Central
- 1999 – Jacob Volkmann of Battle Lake-Underwood-Henning
- 1998 – Luke Becker of Cambridge-Isanti
- 1997 – Chad Erikson of Apple Valley
- 1996 – Dan Duncombe of St. Michael-Albertville
- 1995 – Jon Fitzgerald of Martin County West
- 1994 – Chad Kraft of
- 1993 – Brandon Howe of Totino-Grace
- 1992 – Brandon Paulson of Anoka
- 1991 – Chad Nelson of Stewartville
- 1990 – Chad Carlson of Willmar