Zach Sanders of Wabasha-Kellogg was named MWCA Mr. Minnesota of Wrestling at the Dave Bartelma Hall of Fame Banquet held at Augsburg College on April 28, 2007.
The Minnesota Wrestling Coaches Association annually presents the Mr. Minnesota High School Wrestler award to the senior that best exemplifies the highest ideals of high school wrestling in Minnesota. Judging is based on past performances, citizenship, academics, leadership, and adherence to MSHSL rules.
Sanders is a five-time state champion with a career record of 223-5. He won the Class A 119 pound title this year, the 112-pound title as a junior and as a sophomore, and the 103-pound title as a freshman and as an eighth-grader. He ended his high school career with three undefeated seasons.
He is a National Cadet and Junior Freestyle Champion, the 2007 National Senior High School Champion at 119 pounds and an Asics All-American First Team Member in 2006. He has a 3.58 grade point average.
Zach’s brother Eric was named MWCA Mr. Minnesota of Wrestling in 2003.
Sanders will continue his wrestling career in college next year with the Minnesota Gophers.
Eight new members were inducted into the Minnesota Wrestling Hall of Fame at the banquet: Bruce Bartels, John Miller, Ray Miller, John Panning, Albert Russ, Pat Short, Harlan “Butch” Steen, and Jim Tanniehill. Many Hall of Fame members were in attendance.
The MWCA selected Tim Roberg of Atwater-Cosmos-Grove City as State Head Coach of the Year. Selected as State Assistant Coach of the Year was Hutchinson’s Bruce Rosenow.
Roberg and Rosenow, along with Zach Sanders now represent Minnesota as The National Wrestling Coaches Association’s State award winners and may be selected for further honors at the Regional and National levels.
Six coaches were honored with Lifetime Achievement awards, given to coaches for their service to wrestling and long coaching careers. This year’s honorees were: Robert Dettmer of Forest Lake–34 years, Steve Techam of Bertha/Hewitt/Verndale–34 years, Gary Baker of Ogilvie–33 years, Jeff Gallagher of Montevideo–32 years, Russ Holland of Park Center–35 years, and Ed Kane of Faribault–37 years.
Mr. Minnesota Wrestler Winners
- 2023 – Max McEnelly of Waconia
- 2022 – Bennett Berge of Kasson-Mantorville
- 2021 – Derrick Cardinal of Forest Lake
- 2020 – Craig Orlando of Bertha-Hewitt/Verndale/Parkers Prairie
- 2019 – Greg Kerkvliet of Simley
- 2018 – Gable Steveson of Apple Valley
- 2017 – Brady Berge of Kasson-Mantorville
- 2016 – Mark Hall of Apple Valley
- 2015 – Lance Benick of Totino-Grace
- 2014 – Tommy Thorn of St. Michael-Albertville
- 2013 – Jake Short of Simley
- 2012 – Michael Kroells of Scott West
- 2011 – Matt Kelliher of Apple Valley
- 2010 – Dylan Ness of Bloomington Kennedy
- 2009 – Kevin Steinhaus of Kerkhoven-Murdock-Sunburg
- 2008 – Jake Deitchler of Anoka
- 2007 – Zach Sanders of Wabasha-Kellogg
- 2006 – Mike Thorn of St. Michael-Albertville
- 2005 – Nathan Matousek of Glencoe-Silver Lake
- 2004 – Charlie Falck of Apple Valley
- 2003 – Eric Sanders of Wabasha-Kellogg
- 2002 – Jeff Pfaffinger of Blue Earth Area
- 2001 – Marcus LeVesseur of Bloomington Kennedy
- 2000 – Nate Baker of Jackson County Central
- 1999 – Jacob Volkmann of Battle Lake-Underwood-Henning
- 1998 – Luke Becker of Cambridge-Isanti
- 1997 – Chad Erikson of Apple Valley
- 1996 – Dan Duncombe of St. Michael-Albertville
- 1995 – Jon Fitzgerald of Martin County West
- 1994 – Chad Kraft of
- 1993 – Brandon Howe of Totino-Grace
- 1992 – Brandon Paulson of Anoka
- 1991 – Chad Nelson of Stewartville
- 1990 – Chad Carlson of Willmar