Jake Deitchler of Anoka is this year’s MWCA Mr. Minnesota of Wrestling. He will be honored at the Dave Bartelma Hall of Fame Banquet on Saturday, April 5th at the Willmar Holiday Inn.
The Minnesota Wrestling Coaches Association annually presents the Mr. Minnesota High School Wrestler award to the senior that best exemplifies the highest ideals of high school wrestling in Minnesota. Judging is based on past performances, citizenship, academics, leadership, and adherence to MSHSL rules.
Deitchler is a three-time state champion and a five-time placewinner. He won the Class AAA 152 pound title this year, the 145 pound title as a junior, and the 140 pound title as a sophomore. Jake also placed fifth at 125 pounds as a freshman and sixth at 112 pounds as an eighth grader. He ended his high school career with a 201-38 record and was a dominating 125-1 in his last three seasons.
Deitchler has had great success in Greco-Roman and freestyle competition.
He was named 2007 Greco-Roman Junior Wrestler of the Year, as presented by USA Wrestling’s Greco-Roman National Team program.
Deitchler won a gold medal at the 2007 ASICS/Vaughan Junior Nationals in Greco-Roman and a silver medal in freestyle.
He won a gold medal in Greco-Roman at the 2007 FILA Junior World Team Trials.
At the 2006 ASICS Vaughan Junior Nationals, Deitchler placed second in freestyle and third in Greco-Roman. He was a 2006 FILA Cadet National Greco-Roman champion and a 2005 Cadet National Greco-Roman and Folkstyle champion.
Deitchler, Anoka’s second MWCA Mr. Minnesota Wrestler, will continue his wrestling career in college next year with the Minnesota Gophers.
Mr. Minnesota Wrestler Winners
- 2023 – Max McEnelly of Waconia
- 2022 – Bennett Berge of Kasson-Mantorville
- 2021 – Derrick Cardinal of Forest Lake
- 2020 – Craig Orlando of Bertha-Hewitt/Verndale/Parkers Prairie
- 2019 – Greg Kerkvliet of Simley
- 2018 – Gable Steveson of Apple Valley
- 2017 – Brady Berge of Kasson-Mantorville
- 2016 – Mark Hall of Apple Valley
- 2015 – Lance Benick of Totino-Grace
- 2014 – Tommy Thorn of St. Michael-Albertville
- 2013 – Jake Short of Simley
- 2012 – Michael Kroells of Scott West
- 2011 – Matt Kelliher of Apple Valley
- 2010 – Dylan Ness of Bloomington Kennedy
- 2009 – Kevin Steinhaus of Kerkhoven-Murdock-Sunburg
- 2008 – Jake Deitchler of Anoka
- 2007 – Zach Sanders of Wabasha-Kellogg
- 2006 – Mike Thorn of St. Michael-Albertville
- 2005 – Nathan Matousek of Glencoe-Silver Lake
- 2004 – Charlie Falck of Apple Valley
- 2003 – Eric Sanders of Wabasha-Kellogg
- 2002 – Jeff Pfaffinger of Blue Earth Area
- 2001 – Marcus LeVesseur of Bloomington Kennedy
- 2000 – Nate Baker of Jackson County Central
- 1999 – Jacob Volkmann of Battle Lake-Underwood-Henning
- 1998 – Luke Becker of Cambridge-Isanti
- 1997 – Chad Erikson of Apple Valley
- 1996 – Dan Duncombe of St. Michael-Albertville
- 1995 – Jon Fitzgerald of Martin County West
- 1994 – Chad Kraft of
- 1993 – Brandon Howe of Totino-Grace
- 1992 – Brandon Paulson of Anoka
- 1991 – Chad Nelson of Stewartville
- 1990 – Chad Carlson of Willmar