The 2011 edition of the MWCA (Minnesota Wrestling Coaches Association) All-State Academic Team consists of 26 student-athletes with a combined GPA of 3.68. These wrestlers have amassed over 3,800 career wins with a combined winning percentage of 83%. “We strive to find excellent students who also happen to be excellent wrestlers,” said Dean Jennissen, MWCA All-State Academic Chairperson. “These young men are truly the ‘best of the best’ and a great example of the caliber of student-athletes we have involved in wrestling state-wide.”
The 26 honorees will be awarded plaques on Friday, March 4th at the River Centre in St. Paul during the State Tournament.
Junior or senior wrestlers are chosen based upon the following criteria:
- Cumulative GPA — 3.95 = 395 points
- State Tournament Participation — 25 points per year
- Overall matches wrestled — wins and losses — 1 point per match
- Winning percentage — 77% = 77 points
- State Tournament Placement — 1st (50 points), 2nd (40), 3rd (35), 4th (25), 5th (20) and 6th (10)
Interesting facts about the 2010 MWCA All-State Academic Team…
- 4.0 GPA’s were: Kasson Mantorville’s Garret Garness and Michael Kroells from Scott West.
- Members of this team have won a total of 12 state championships!
- Six members of the team have won 200 or more career matches: Christian Skillings (Minneota), Matt Nelson (Big Lake), Garret Garness (Kasson-Mantorville), Ryan Swenson (DB/LQPV), Zach Campbell (Tracy Area) and Destin McCauley (Apple Valley)
- Based upon the above criteria, this year’s highest point total was achieved by Destin McCauley of Apple Valley — over 1000 points!
- Apple Valley wrestlers represent 3 of the 4 AAA honorees
- Minneota, Kenyon-Wanamingo and Lake Crystal/Wellcome Memorial each had two wrestlers on the team.
- 13 members are from Class A, 9 from Class AA and 4 from Class AAA
- This year’s team consists of 9 Juniors and 15 Seniors
- Jordan Kingsley (Apple Valley), Christian Skillings (Minneota), Matt Nelson (Big Lake), Garret Garness (Kasson-Mantorville), Ryan Swenson (DB/LQPV) and Destin McCauley (Apple Valley) were all members of the 2010 MWCA All-Academic Team.
- There were 120 total nominees down from 176 in 2010. We have our work cut out for us to increase that number to 175 in 2012. We can do it coaches… there are some awesome student athletes at your schools that deserve the recognition!
The 2011 MWCA All-State Academic Team:
103 – No Entrees
1. Mitch Andrews, 12th, Border West (A)
2. Mitchel Lexvold, 11th, Kenyon-Wanamingo (A)
1. Jacoby Bergeron, 12th, Thief River Falls (AA)
2. Jordan Kingsley, 12th, Apple Valley (AAA)
1. Christian Skillings, 12th, Minneota (A)
2. Oakley McLain, 11th, Kenyon-Wanamingo (A)
1. Matt Nelson, 12th, Big Lake (AA)
2. Beau Buysse, 12th, Minneota (A)
1. Garret Garness, 12th, Kasson-Mantorville (AA)
2. Hayden Zillmer, 12th, Crosby-Ironton (A)
1. Zach Campbell, 12th, Tracy Area (AA)
2. Brandon Kingsley, 11th, Apple Valley (AAA)
1. Ryan Swenson, 12th, Dawson-Boyd/Lac Qui Parle Valley (AA)
2. Grant Hegge, 12th, Southland (A)
1. Destin McCauley, 12th, Apple Valley (AAA)
2. Zach Rohr, 12th, Hastings (AAA)
1. Brett Pfarr, 11th, LeSueur-Henderson (A)
2. Jacob Forcier, 12th, Eden Valley-Watkins (A)
1. Cody Tibbetts, 12th, Lake Crystal/Wellcome Memorial (A)
2. Sebastian Gardner, 12th, Monticello (AA)
1. Adam Josephson, 11th, Minneota (A)
2. Nate Meixell, 11th, Lake Crystal/Wellcome Memorial (A)
1. Michael Kroells, 11th, Scott West (AA)
2. Anthony Gullickson, 12th, Totino-Grace (AA)
1. Jesse Hein, 11th, Perham (AA)
2. Alex Yeager, 11th, Badger/Greenbush/Middle River (A)