Feb. 27 – NCAA Division II Super Three Regional @ Sioux Falls, S.D. – 10 a.m.
- #3 St. Cloud State University (19-2, 6-1 NSIC) will open postseason action on Feb. 27 with a trip to Sioux Falls, S.D. for the 2011 NCAA Division II Super Region Three tournament. The tournament will be hosted by Augustana College. This tournament serves as the qualifier for the upcoming NCAA Division II championships, which will be held on March 11-12 in Kearney, Neb. The top four wrestlers from each weight bracket at the regional will gain bids to the NCAA nationals.
- REGIONAL WEBSITE! For complete information about the upcoming Regional, please check out the Regional Website. This site provides links to video streaming, stats, ticket information, etc. http://www.goaugie.com/sports/
- The Huskies completed their dual season on Feb. 17 with a big 25-9 victory over NSIC rival Minnesota State in Halenbeck Hall. This match was Senior Night, and it featured a salute to the Husky Seniors: Westy Hanson, Chad Kubasch, Erik Rogness, Gabe Suarez and John Sundgren.
- The 19 wins is a team record for most dual wins in a season for the Huskies. The old record of 16 wins in a season was set in 1970-71 by the Huskies under the leadership of coach John Oxton. Against MSU, the Huskies collected important wins from Eric Ellington (133), Gabe Suarez (141), Jacob D. Horn (149), John Sundgren (157), Tad Merritt (165), Shamus O’Grady (174) and Jacob Kahnke (285).
- The Huskies were ranked #3 in the latest DII Coaches’ Poll behind Nebraska Omaha. Here is a rundown of SCSU’s nationally ranked wrestlers in 2010-11: Gabe Suarez (#8 at 141-pounds), Jacob D. Horn (#6 at 149-pounds), John Sundgren (#2 at 157-pounds), Tad Merritt (#2 at 165-pounds), Luke Munkelwitz (#6 at 197-pounds) and Jake Kahnke (#1 at 285-pounds). The poll was released on Feb. 16.
- Junior Tad Merritt continues to lead the Huskies this season with 31 victories (31-3) and 12 pins. Merritt is ranked #2 in the nation. Of note, the team record for wins in a season is 38.
- SCSU grapplers in the 20 win club this winter include Jacob D. Horn (21-8), Jacob R. Horn (23-11). Jacob Kahnke (23-1), Shamus O’Grady (24-7) and Gabe Suarez (22-7).
- The Huskies have already shattered the team’s dual match point record for a season. SCSU has 599 points in dual matches this season, which breaks the old team record of 515 points set in 2009-10. In contrast, SCSU has allowed only 164 dual match points this winter. SCSU set a team record by allowing just 7.81 points per dual match this season. The old team record of 8.06 points allowed per dual match was set in 1963-64.
- SCSU placed 3rd at the 2011 NWCA Division II National Duals on Jan. 8-9. The third place finish is the best in team history for the Huskies at the DII National Duals.
- The St. Cloud State University wrestling team (14-7, 5-2 NSIC/3rd) captured 7th place at the 2010 NCAA Division II wrestling championships on March 12-13, in Omaha, Neb. This marks the Huskies best NCAA finish since capturing 7th place in 1983. This also marked the best finish for the Huskies at the NCAA tournament since Steve Costanzo took over as head coach in 2006-07. This marked the 8th time since 1975 that SCSU has charted a top-10 place at the NCAA championships. The 7th place finish is the best ever for the Huskies at the NCAA DII level. SCSU placed eighth at the nationals in 2009, 1986 and 1976. SCSU also placed third at nationals during the 1963 and 1965 seasons as an NAIA affiliate.
- The Huskies qualified 8 wrestlers for the NCAA championships in 2010. SCSU wrestlers earning All-America status at the meet were Jacob Kahnke (4th place at 285), Tad Merritt (5th place at 165), Shamus O’Grady (6th place at 174) and Gabe Suarez (8th place at 141). The 4 All-Americans ties a team record for the Huskies, as SCSU also brought home 4 All-America honors in 1983 and 1975.
- The Huskies will have two major targets on the wrestling room wall this season. First up is the 2011 NCAA Regional championships on Feb. 27 in Sioux Falls, S.D. This tournament serves as a qualifier for the other big date – March 11-12, which is the 2011 NCAA DII championships.