#1 St. Cloud State Wrestling to Host Husky Open on Dec. 10
The Huskies will host the 41st annual Holiday Inn Husky Open on Saturday, Dec. 10, in the Halenbeck Hall Fieldhouse. The action begins at 9 a.m. and tickets are just $10/$5 for the complete day of wrestling competition. SCSU students get in free to this event with a valid SCSU student ID card. Teams slated to compete in the 2011 Husky Open include SCSU, Minnesota, NDSU, Minnesota State, Minnesota State Moorhead, Southwest Minnesota State, St. John’s, Mary, UW-Parkside, Concordia-Moorhead, Indianapolis, Iowa Lakes and Augsburg.
- The #1 St. Cloud State wrestling team opened the 2011-12 dual season with three wins at the UW-LaCrosse Duals on Dec. 3. The Huskies posted a 49-0 win over Waldorf and also gained a 29-9 win over #25 UW-Stevens Point and a 29-7 win over #2 UW-LaCrosse. At UW-Lacrosse, Jake Kahnke (285), Josh Howk (149) and Dan Dick (165) all gained three wins apiece on the day.
- Josh Howk (13-5) leads the team with 13 wins this season and 10 pins. He is rapidly closing in on the single-season pin record of 17 set by Tad Merritt in 2008-09…as a team, SCSU has notched 86 wins by falls this year…SCSU’s match record in 2011-12 is 228-142…Kurt Salmen has been impressive this year with an 11-5 record to his credit, while Jake Kahnke, Dan Dick, Jay Hildreth and Zach Stewart all have 10 wins under their belts already this winter.
- The Huskies earned the #1 spot in the 2011-12 NSIC preseason poll. The Huskies also received the top spot in the 2011-12 preseason national poll released by the Division II Wrestling Coaches’ Association. Senior Tad Merritt was ranked #1 in the nation at 165-pounds and Jake Kahnke was ranked #2 in the nation at 285-pounds in the DII preseason polls. In those same preseason polls, Shamus O’Grady (174) and Derek Skala (184) both gained #4 rankings and Jacob D. Horn (149) was ranked 7th.
- SCSU’s Jacob Kahnke earned NSIC Wrestler of the Week notice on Nov. 8, 2011. He gained the award by posting a first place finish at the SDSU Daktronics Open on Nov. 6 in Brookings.
- St. Cloud State University (19-2, 6-1 NSIC) set a new team standard by capturing 2nd place at the 2011 NCAA Division II championships on March 11-12 in Kearney, Neb. This is the best finish at a national championship for the Huskies since the program started in 1949-50. The previous best efforts for the Huskies were 3rd place finishes at the NAIA tournament in 1963 and 1965. In NCAA Division II action, the best finish prior to 2011 was a 7th place finish in 2010 and 1983. SCSU scored 90.5 team points at the NCAA championships, while Nebraska-Omaha won its third consecutive team title with 102.5 points. This was the most points scored at a national meet by the Huskies in team history. The previous high was 50 points scored at the NCAA tournament in 2010.
- SCSU’s John Sundgren captured 1st place at the NCAA championships in the 157-pound bracket. He was the first Husky to win a national title since Gene Hanemann won his title in 1995. This was the 12th individual national title for a Husky wrestling since 1958, and it was just the 2nd NCAA Division II individual national title for a Husky wrestler.
- The Huskies bring back the following All-Americans from the 2011 championships: Jacob Kahnke (2nd at 285), Tad Merritt (3rd at 165), Shamus O’Grady (4th at 174) and Jacob D. Horn (5th at 149). Senior Derek Skala was a redshirt last year but he has earned All-America honors at previous NCAA meets.
- Tad Merritt set a new team record for victories in 2010-11. Merritt charted a 40-4 overall record last winter. Merritt currently owns 115 career wins at SCSU in his first four seasons of competition.
UPCOMING MATCHES: Dec. 10 – Holiday Inn Husky Open at Halenbeck Hall Fieldhouse, 9 a.m.