#1 St. Cloud State Opens NSIC Dual Campaign
St. Cloud State (11-0, 0-0- NSIC) will journey to conference rival Northern State on Jan. 13 for a 7 p.m. match and on Jan. 15, the Huskies will travel to Mary for a Noon match. Please note that the Huskies will host UW-Eau Claire at Halenbeck Hall on Jan. 18 at 7:30 p.m. This match was originally slated for Feb. 7 but it was moved due to conflicts. The match at Mary was also changed to Jan. 15 from the originally slated date of Jan. 14.
- The #1 St. Cloud State wrestling team won first place at the 2012 NWCA DII National Duals on Jan. 7-8 in Springfield, Ill. The Huskies charted wins over Truman, #7 Central Oklahoma, #2 Upper Iowa and #1 Newberry to gain the title. Senior Tad Merritt (165/174) was 4-0 at the NWCA Duals along with Junior Jake Kahnke (285). Jacob Munkelwitz was 3-0 in NWCA action, which included a 6-2 win over #1 ranked Carl Broghammer of UIU. For his efforts, Munkelwitz was named the NSIC Wrestler of the Week on Jan. 9. Munkelwitz is 19-4 this season.
- Over the Holiday break, SCSU also gained a perfect 4-0 record at the Grand Canyon Duals in Phoenix, Ariz, which included wins over #18 Colorado Mesa, #8 Mercyhurst and #5 Grand Canyon. On Jan. 3, SCSU’s Tad Merritt was named the NSIC Wrestler of the Week for his work at the GC Duals.
- The Huskies earned the #1 spot in the 2011-12 NSIC preseason poll. The Huskies also received the top spot in the 2011-12 preseason national poll. SCSU has moved back into the #1 spot in the latest DII coaches’ poll released on Jan. 11, ahead of #2 Newberry and #3 Upper Iowa. Merritt (165) and Kahnke (285) are both ranked #1 in this week’s national poll, while O’Grady (174), Skala (184) and Munkelwitz (197) are all ranked #3. Jacob D. Horn is ranked #5 at 157 in the poll this week.
- Kahnke tops the team this season with a 22-1 record. Tad Merritt owns a 21-2 record this season, while Derek Skala sits at 16-2 in 2011-12. Josh Howk is 17-9 for the Huskies this winter.
- St. Cloud State University (19-2, 6-1 NSIC) set a new team standard by capturing 2nd place at the 2011 NCAA Division II championships on March 11-12 in Kearney, Neb. This is the best finish at a national championship for the Huskies since the program started in 1949-50. The previous best efforts for the Huskies were 3rd place finishes at the NAIA tournament in 1963 and 1965. In NCAA Division II action, the best finish prior to 2011 was a 7th place finish in 2010 and 1983. SCSU scored 90.5 team points at the NCAA championships, while Nebraska-Omaha won its third consecutive team title with 102.5 points. This was the most points scored at a national meet by the Huskies in team history. The previous high was 50 points scored at the NCAA tournament in 2010.
- SCSU’s John Sundgren captured 1st place at the NCAA championships in the 157-pound bracket. He was the first Husky to win a national title since Gene Hanemann won his title in 1995. This was the 12th individual national title for a Husky wrestling since 1958, and it was just the 2nd NCAA Division II individual national title for a Husky wrestler.
- The Huskies bring back the following All-Americans from the 2011 championships: Jacob Kahnke (2nd at 285), Tad Merritt (3rd at 165), Shamus O’Grady (4th at 174) and Jacob D. Horn (5th at 149). Senior Derek Skala was a redshirt last year but he has earned All-America honors at previous NCAA meets.
- Tad Merritt set a new team record for victories in 2010-11. Merritt charted a 40-4 overall record last winter. Merritt currently owns 127 career wins at SCSU in his first four seasons of competition.
- The top finish at the 2012 NWCA DII National Duals was the best finish for the Huskies at that prestigious tournament. Last year, SCSU finished in third place at the NWCA DII National Duals.
Jan. 13 – #1 SCSU at Northern State, 7 p.m.
Jan. 15 – #1 SCSU at Mary, Noon
WATCH MATCHES ON THE WEB: www.nmtvsports.com
Next Home Match:
Jan. 18 – UW-Eau Claire vs. SCSU, 7:30 p.m.