“We strive to find excellent students who also happen to be excellent wrestlers,” said Dean Jennissen, MWCA All-State Academic Chairperson. The 2012 edition of the MWCA (Minnesota Wrestling Coaches Association) All-State Academic Team definitely fits this description. This year’s team consists of 28 student-athletes with a combined GPA of 3.76. In fact this group’s had over half of the team with over a 3.90 GPA and the team’s combined GPA is the highest of the teams selected over the past eight years. These wrestlers have amassed over 4,100 career wins with a combined winning percentage of 80%. “These young men are truly the ‘best of the best’ and a great example of the caliber of student-athletes we have involved in wrestling state-wide. I want to especially thank our dedicated coaches for nominating their wrestlers and my helper with tabulating this year’s results, my daughter Colee who is a senior high school and has been a wrestling manager since 7th Grade. Like my wife Lisa and oldest daughter, Briann, she loves wrestling and likes to help out. That is the great thing about wrestling. It is a family thing. It takes dedicated wrestlers and coaches, but also dedicated spouses and siblings too,” says Jennissen.
The 28 honorees will be awarded plaques at the River Centre in St. Paul during the State Tournament.
Junior or senior wrestlers are chosen based upon the following criteria:
- Cumulative GPA – 3.95 = 395 points
- State Tournament Participation – 25 points per year
- Overall matches wrestled – wins and losses – 1 point per match
- Winning percentage – 77% = 77 points
- State Tournament Placement – 1st (50 points), 2nd (40), 3rd (35), 4th (25), 5th (20) and 6th (10)
Interesting Facts about the MWCA All-State Academic Wrestling Team…
- 4.0 GPA’s were: 106 lbers Gabe Foltz of Detroit Lakes and Kyle Edlin of Jackson County Central, 132 lb. Austin Kluis of Fulda/Murray County Central, 195 lb. Tyler Jakes of Mankato West and 220 lb. Michael Kroells from Scott West.
- Members of this team have won a total of 12 state championships!
- Two members of the team have won 200 or more career matches: Mitchel Lexvold of Kenyon-Wanamingo, Brandon Kingsley of Apple Valley. A few others should hit 200 wins around state tournament time!
- Based upon the above criteria, this year’s highest point total was achieved by Curt Maas of Medford – over 900 points!
- Minneota, Badger/Greenbush/Middle River, Simley, and Kenyon-Wanamingo each had two wrestlers on the team.
- There are 4 Adam’s on the team, 2 Kyle’s, 2 Austin’s, 2 Garret’s, but only 1 Oakley!
- 12 members are from Class A, 10 from Class AA and 6 from Class AAA
- This year’s team consists of 7 Juniors and 21 Seniors
- Mitchel Lexvold and Oakley McLain of Kenyon-Wanamingo, Brandon Kingsley of Apple Valley, Brett Pfarr of LeSueuer-Henderson, Nate Meixell of Lake Crystal/Welcome Memorial, Adam Josephson of Minneota, Michael Kroells of Scott West, Alex Yeager of Badger/Greenbush/Middle River and Jesse Hein of Perham were all members of the 2011 MWCA All-Academic Team
- There were 108 total nominees down from 120 in 2011. We have our work cut out for us to increase that number to 150 in 2013. We can do it coaches… there are some awesome student athletes at your schools that deserve the recognition!
The 2012 MWCA All-State Academic Team:
Gabe Foltz – 12, Detroit Lakes (AA)
Kyle Edlin – 11, Jackson County Central (A)
Kyle Gliva – 11, Simley (AA)
Tristan Manderfeld – 11, Foley (AA)
Mitchel Lexvold – 12, Kenyon-Wanamingo (A)
Isaac Novacek – 12, Badger/Greenbush/Middle River (A)
Austin Leibel – 12, St. Francis (AAA)
Oakley McLain – 12, Kenyon-Wanamingo (A)
Jonathan Dill – 12, Maple Grove (AAA)
Austin Kluis – 12, Fulda/Murray County Central (AA)
Adam Hammer – 12, Osseo (AAA)
Adam Woitalla – 12, Northfield (AAA)
Garret Hoffner – 11, Mahnomen/Waubun (A)
Adam Cooling – 11, Medelia/Truman (A)
Curt Maas – 12, Medford (A)
Brandon Kingsley – 12, Apple Valley (AAA)
Sam Haas – 12, Lac Qui Parle Valley (AA)
Nick Wanzek – 11, Simley (AA)
Brett Pfarr – 12, LeSueur-Henderson (A)
Garret Miller – 12, Plainview/Elgin-Millville (AA)
Clayton Jennissen – 12, Cambridge-Isanti (AAA)
Nate Meixell – 12, Lake Crystal/Welcome Memorial (A)
Adam Josephson – 12, Minneota (A)
Tyler Jakes – 11, Mankato West (AA)
Michael Kroells – 12, Scott West (AA)
Josh Van Overbeke – 12, Minneota (A)
Alex Yeager – 12, Badger/Greenbush/Middle River (A)
Jesse Hein – 12, Perham (AA)