The #1 ranked St. Cloud State University wrestling team (21-0, 8-0 NSIC) will begin its postseason run on Sunday, Feb. 24 with a trip to the 2013 NCAA Division II Super Region 3 tournament in Waterloo, Iowa.
The Super 3 Region tournament will be held at Young Arena in Waterloo, Iowa and it will be hosted by Upper Iowa University. Tournament action is slated to start at 10 a.m. Fans can obtain complete information about the upcoming Super 3 Region tournament by visiting the website listed below:
The Huskies are the two-time defending NCAA Division II Super 3 Region champions and last year SCSU won the regional crown in St. Cloud. The Region tournament serves as a qualifier for the upcoming NCAA Division II championships, which will be held on March 8-9 in Birmingham, Ala.
The top four finishers in each weight bracket at the Regional will advance to the NCAA Division II championships.
Live Video (Selected Matches Thru the Day / All Third Place Matches / All Finals Matches)
Live Stat Tracker (via Twitter Updates)
Husky Wrestlng News and Notes:
- The St. Cloud State University wrestling team captured its second consecutive NSIC title on Feb. 14 with a 29-6 win over Minnesota State at Halenbeck Hall. The victory ended the Huskies’ dual match season with an 8-0 mark in NSIC action.
- The victory also moved SCSU’s season record to 21-0 overall. This marked the second consecutive undefeated SCSU for the Huskies and it tied the NCAA Division II record for most consecutive dual victories at 47. This ties the mark set by Pittsburgh-Johnstown from 1994-96. The last time SCSU lost a dual was an 18-13 loss to Augustana on Jan. 27, 2011.
- The victory was coach Steve Costanzo’s 100th career victory at St. Cloud State University. In seven seasons at SCSU, Costanzo owns a 100-23 career record with the Huskies.
- Senior Shamus O’Grady, who is ranked #1 at 184-pounds, won his 100th career victory as a Husky in action against Minnesota State. He is now 100-18 in four years at SCSU and he is 32-1 in 2012-13. SCSU is ranked number one in the nation in the latest Division II poll.
- SCSU wrestlers ranked in the Division II poll are Eric Fordethird at 125-pounds, Andy Pokorny third at 133-pounds,Clint Poster seventh at 157-pounds, Shamus O’Grady first at 184-pounds and Jacob Kahnke second at 285-pounds.
- The Huskies are the two-time defending NCAA Division II Super Region 3 champions and they will put the title on the line at the 2013 regional in Waterloo, Iowa on Feb. 24.
- SCSU is 42-0 over the last two seasons in dual match competition.
- In 2012, SCSU wrestlers who advanced out of the Super Regional were Andy Pokorny (3rd at 133), Jacob D. Horn (2nd at 149), Tad Merritt (1st at 165 and the tournament MVP), Shamus O’Grady (2nd at 174), Derek Skala (3rd at 184), Lucas Munkelwitz (2nd at 197) and Jake Kahnke (3rd at 285).
- Of note, Eric Forde placed 6th at 125-pounds at the 2012 Regional while Jay Hildreth placed 5th at 141-pounds and and Josh Howk did not place at 157-pounds.
- SCSU is the two-time runner up at the NCAA Division II championships. Last year, SCSU posted 95.0 team points and placed 2nd behind NCAA champ Nebraska-Kearney, who had 107.0 team points.
- SCSU returning All-Americans for 2013 include Jake Kahnke at 285, Shamus O’Grady at 184-pounds an Andy Pokorny at 133-pounds. Kahnke is a three-time All-America award winner for the Huskies along O’Grady. Jacob D. Horn is also a returning All-American for the Huskies from 2011.
- Did you know that Huskies have earned All-America honors 20 times over the past four seasons?
- Shamus O’Grady and Jacob Kahnke both gained Regional championships for the Huskies in 2011.
- The Huskies earned the University’s seventh conference title in 2012-13. SCSU also won a NSIC crown in 2011-12 and it won NIC titles in 1963, 1974, 1975, 1977 and 1978.
- Complete 2012-13 SCSU Wrestling Media Guide (PDF)