“Once again this year we have found some great students that just so happen to be great wrestlers as well,” said Dean Jennissen, MWCA All-State Academic Chairperson. The 2013 edition of the MWCA (Minnesota Wrestling Coaches Association) All-State Academic Team definitely fits this description. This year’s team consists of 26 student-athletes with a combined GPA of 3.76. In fact 16 of the 26 had over a 3.90 GPA! The team’s combined GPA is the highest of the teams selected over the past 8 years (tied with the 2012 team). These wrestlers have amassed over 3,700 career wins with a combined winning percentage of 77%. “These young men are truly the ‘cream of the crop’ and a great example of the caliber of student-athletes we have involved in wrestling state-wide. I want to especially thank our dedicated coaches for nominating their wrestlers each year,” said Jennissen.
The 26 honorees will be awarded plaques at the River Centre in St. Paul during the State Tournament.
Junior or senior wrestlers are chosen based upon the following criteria:
- Cumulative GPA – 3.95 x 2 = 790 points
- Overall matches wrestled – wins and losses – 1 point per match
- Winning percentage – 77% = 77 points
- State Tournament Participation – 25 points per year
- State Tournament Placement – 1st (50 points), 2nd (40), 3rd (35), 4th (25), 5th (20) and 6th (10)
Interesting Facts about the MWCA All-State Academic Wrestling Team…
- Jake Hanson of Rochester Mayo was the only member of the team with a 4.0 GPA.
- Members of this team have won a total of 14 state championships!
- Three members of the team have won 200 or more career matches: Garret Hoffner of Mahnomen/Waubun and Jake Short of Simley – both at 152 lbs. At 170 lbs., Nick Wanzek also eclipsed 200 wins during the season. A few others should hit 200 wins around state tournament time!
- Based upon the above criteria, this year’s highest point total was achieved by Nick Wanzek of Simley at 170 lbs. with over 1300 points!
- The Simley Spartans led the way with 3 members on the team. Saint Michael-Albertville and Jackson County Central each had two.
- 11 members of the team are from AA schools, 9 from Class A and 6 from AAA schools.
- This year’s team consists of 4 Juniors and 22 Seniors
- Kyle Edlin of Jackson County Central, Tristan Manderfeld of Foley, Kyle Gliva of Simley, Garret Hoffner of Mahnomen/Waubun, Adam Cooling of Madelia/Truman/Martin Luther, Nick Wanzek of Simley and Tyler Jakes of Mankato West were all members of the 2012 MWCA All-Academic Team
- There were 109 total nominees up from 108 in 2012. We have our work cut out for us to increase that number to 130 in 2014. We can do it coaches… there are some awesome student athletes at your schools that deserve the recognition!
The 2013 MWCA All-State Academic Team:
Skyler Petry (11) WEM/JWP (AA)
Jakob Stageberg (11) New London-Spicer (AA)
Shane Novak (12) New York Mills (A)
Kyle Edlin (12) Jackson County Central (A)
Tristan Manderfeld (12) Foley (AA)
Tanner Mills (12) Saint Michael-Albertville (AAA)
Kyle Gliva (12) Simley (AA)
Nate Thomas (12) Kasson-Mantorville (AA)
Cole Sladek (12) Saint Michael-Albertville (AAA)
Taner Trembley (12) Lake Crystal-Wellcome Memorial Area (A)
Jake Hanson (12) Rochester Mayo (AAA)
Tyler Hebig (12) Mound Westonka (AAA)
Garret Hoffner (12) Mahnomen/Waubun (A)
Jake Short (12) Simley (AA)
Adam Cooling (12) Madelia/Truman/Martin Luther (A)
Cody Skog (11) Cambridge-Isanti (AAA)
Nick Wanzek (12) Simley (AA)
Darick Vancura (12) Jackson County Central (A)
Patrick Rooney (12) Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa (A)
Wyatt Aubert (12) Luverne (AA)
Chase Morlock (12) Moorhead (AAA)
Tyler Jakes (12) Mankato West (AA)
Joe Schiller (12) Totino-Grace (AA)
Taylor Carlson (11) United North Central (A)
Lance Briard (12) River Valley (A)
Brandon Schmitt (12) Dawson-Boyd/Lac qui Parle Valley (AA)