“Once again this year we have found some great students that just so happen to be great wrestlers as well,” said Dean Jennissen, MWCA All-State Academic Chairperson. The 2014 edition of the MWCA (Minnesota Wrestling Coaches Association) All-State Academic Team definitely fits this description. This year’s team consists of 28 student-athletes with a combined GPA of 3.74. In fact 15 of the 28 had over a 3.80! These wrestlers have amassed over 3,800 career wins with a combined winning percentage of 71%. “These young men are truly the ‘cream of the crop’ and a great example of the caliber of student-athletes we have involved in wrestling state-wide. I want to especially thank our dedicated coaches for nominating their wrestlers each year,” said Jennissen.
The 28 honorees will be awarded plaques at the River Centre in St. Paul during the State Tournament.
Junior or senior wrestlers are chosen based upon the following criteria:
- Cumulative GPA – 3.95 x 2 = 790 points
- Overall matches wrestled – wins and losses – 1 point per match
- Winning percentage – 77% = 77 points
- State Tournament Participation – 25 points per year
- State Tournament Placement – 1st (50 points), 2nd (40), 3rd (35), 4th (25), 5th (20) and 6th (10)
Interesting Facts about the MWCA All-State Academic Wrestling Team…
- Four team members had a perfect 4.0 GPA: Tyler Keller of Medford, Nick Borchert of Mille Lacs, Blake Bergeron of Crookston and Carson Hagen of Worthington. Way to go guys!
- State Champs on the team are Tommy Thorn of STMA, Seth Gross of Apple Valley and Lucas Damm of ACGC.
- 11 members of the team are from A and AAA schools and six from AA schools
- This year’s team consists of four Juniors and 22 Seniors
- Jakob Stageberg of NLS, Skyler Petry of WEM/JWP, Cody Skog of Cambridge-Isanti and Taylor Carlson of United North Central were all members of the 2013 MWCA All-Academic Team
- Based upon the above criteria, this year’s highest point total was achieved by Justin Herold-Plakut of Woodbury.
- There were 106 total nominees, down from 108 in 2013. We have our work cut out for us to increase that number to 130 in 2015. We can do it coaches… there are some awesome student athletes at your schools that deserve the recognition!
The 2014 MWCA All-State Academic Team:
Brad Osatiuk (11) Maple Grove (AAA)
Aaron Dick (12) St. Michael-Albertville (AAA)
Jakob Stageberg (12) New London-Spicer (AA)
Joey Majerus (11) Zumbrota/Mazeppa (A)
Skyler Petry (12) WEM/JWP (AA)
Sam Bennyhoff (11) Mound-Westonka (AAA)
Tommy Thorn (12) St. Michael-Albertville (AAA)
Ty Johnson (11) Woodbury (AAA)
Nick O’Brien (12) Wayzata (AAA)
Cody Weiland (11) Crookston (A)
Tyler Keller (12) Medford (A)
Seth Gross (12) Apple Valley (AAA)
Nick Borchert (11) Mille Lacs (A)
Treyton Austvold (11) New London-Spicer (AA)
Justin Herold-Plakut (12) Woodbury (AAA)
McKinnon Short (12) Simley (AA)
Cody Skog (12) Cambridge-Isanti (AAA)
Blake Bergeron (12) Crookston (A)
Alex Haffner (12) Chatfield (A)
Joe Virga (11) Chisago Lakes Area (AA)
Brian Bertram (12) Byron (A)
Bryan Tierney (12) Mound-Westonka (AAA)
Tyler Patron (12) New York Mills (A)
Carson Hagen (11) Worthington (AA)
Taylor Carlson (12) United North Central (A)
Dillon Card (11) Bertha-Hewitt-Verndale (A)
Bryce Kirchner (12) St. Cloud Apollo (AAA)
Lucas Damm (12) ACGC (A)