There are times in life when its better to wait. You know how it is. Now’s not the time. This can be difficult because we want to rush in. We’re anxious, impatient, and feverish, but now’s not the time. This applies to many instances in our lives but not in athletics and specifically not in wrestling. You want your hand to go up? Go get it! You want to give yourself the best opportunity to succeed? Go get it!
Too much thinking can be crippling and misleading. For most of us, the longer we think, the more uneasy, indecisive, and unsure we become. Too much thinking becomes congested and complex. You know how it is, too much sugar, salt or curry imbalances the flavor and so does too much contemplating. I’m not suggesting you throw the dice or turn the wheel, although there’s always a factor of risk. Naturally we want safety, sureness, and protection….. But not in wrestling.
The only way is to prepare for what you know is coming. The plain unvarnished truth in wrestling is you have to pursue, blitz, and strike. I’m talking about an all out raid! Go get it! I’m not promoting being reckless, thoughtless and desperate. We need the right amount of thinking along with instinct, feel and absolute conviction. All your energies are consolidated, nothing to the left or right. You have it down to the drop. You’re direct and fixated. Go get it!
History and your own experience clearly confirm sound plans are simple. You prepare, rehearse, and take direct and passionate action. What do I mean by “Go get it?” You know exactly what you’re after. You’re specific and precise and then you forge an opening.
Waiting is a snare especially in wrestling – go get it! Don’t hesitate, hold up, or delay. When you dawdle, you’re cautious and then you won’t pull the trigger. Don’t linger. Go get it!
Give me a guarantee and go get it. Give yourself a promise, sign the mental contract, make the deposit and go get it. No more questions. It’s final. You’re certain. Now go get it!
As I write this I’m thinking two thoughts:
- Go get your goals dreams and desires.
- Go get the score, put up the points, and take the victory.
Mark Schwab is an assistant coach at the University of Northern Iowa. Previously he spent nine years as assistant coach at the University of Minnesota, helping the program to seven top-three team finishes at the NCAA Championships and two NCAA team titles. As a wrestler, Schwab was an All-American for the University of Northern Iowa during the late 1980s. Schwab earned his bachelor’s degree in 1990 from the University of Northern Iowa and his master’s degree from the University of Minnesota in 2003. Schwab returned to the University of Minnesota to get a second emphasis in sport psychology on his existing master’s and completed that in 2010. Email Mark at email@example.com.
- On-Target Attitude & Response (1/21/2020)
- Face Fears Now vs. Regret Later (1/8/2020)
- It’s on you/Stack ‘em up (11/13/2019)
- Performance Psychology: Managing Mind and Emotions (10/15/2019)
- Why not you? – Motivation By Mark Schwab (3/15/2019)
- Enthusiasm Wins – Motivation By Mark Schwab (1/11/2019)
- I will, I’ll adjust, I’ll find a way – Motivation By Mark Schwab (1/2/2019)
- It’s all in your head – Motivation By Mark Schwab (12/24/2018)
- Readiness To Compete – Motivation By Mark Schwab (12/10/2018)
- The most powerful and accessible, yet ignored tool in the world – Motivation By Mark Schwab (11/15/2018)