ST. CLOUD, Minn. — The Augsburg College wrestling team claimed two individual champions and six wrestlers who placed in the top-five at the 2014 St. Cloud State Holiday Inn/Husky Open.
Defending 125-pound national champion Mike Fuenffinger (SR, Hibbing, Minn.), ranked No. 1 nationally in the latest Division III national rankings at 125, went 3-0 in route to claiming the 125 pound championship. He reached the final with 9-0 and 12-2 major decisions and defeated St. Cloud State’s Tim Prescott 9-4 to in the finals for his first individual title of the season.
Matt Hechsel (SR, Apple Valley, Minn.), ranked No. 10 nationally at 197 pounds, also claimed his first individual title of the season. Heschsel reached the final with a first round bye followed by 5-0 and 7-2 decisions. Heschsel secured his title with a 6-4 OT decision over unattached wrestler VJ Giulio.
Eric Hensel (JR, Lakeville, Minn./Lakeville South HS) went 4-1 to place third at 174 pounds, including claiming a pin of St. Cloud State’s Garret Miller in the third place match.
Chad Bartschenfeld (SR, Amery, Wis.), went 2-2 to place fourth, falling to two St. Cloud State wrestlers.
Will Keeter (SR, Twin Falls, Idaho/Twin Falls HS), ranked No. 10 nationally, claimed a fourth-place finish in a very competitive 140 pound weigh class. Keeter went 4-2 on the afternoon, claiming two pins before falling to Larry Bornstad of St. Cloud State 11-7 to finish fourth.
Marcus Hamer (SO, Kimball, Minn.), went 3-2, claiming three decisions, including a 5-4 decision over unattached Colin Ayers to claim fifth place.
Miles Hammerlund (SO, Delano, Minn./Delano HS) finished fifth at 184, advancing twice by injury default and claiming a 4-3 decision over teammate Sebastian Larson to get into the placing matches.
AUGSBURG RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
- 125: Mike Fuenffinger 3-0, 1st place; James Goman 2-2, 4th place; Xianou Xiong 0-2.
- 133: Chad Bartschenfeld 2-2, 4th place; Dylan Lesar 0-2.
- 141: Marcus Hamer 3-2, 5th place.
- 149: Will Keeter 4-2, 3rd place; Bryce Zdanovec 1-2.
- 157: Grant Parker 2-2; Tone Fuenffinger 0-2; Dwayne Williams 0-2.
- 165: Austin Boniface 1-2; Kurt Knutsen 0-2.
- 174: Eric Hensel 4-1, 3rd place.
- 184: Miles Hammerlund 3-2, 5th place; Tommy Teigen 1-0, 6th place; Sebastian Larson 2-2.
- 197: Matt Hechsel 3-0, 1st place.
- HWT: Logan Hortop 0-2; Jordan Reisinger 0-2.
Augsburg is idle during finals week and will return to action on Dec. 29-30 when the Auggies travel to Fort Lauderdale, Fla. to take part in the Citrus Open.