The #7 St. Cloud State University wrestling team (3-1, 0-0 NSIC) will continue its 2014-15 season with a trip to the 2015 NWCA Division II National Duals tournament in Fort Wayne Ind. on Jan. 9-10. This 16-team tournament will be held at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne, Ind. and it will feature 12 teams ranked among the nation’s top 20 NCAA Division II wrestling programs.
The Huskies will kick-off tournament action on Friday, Jan. 9 with an 11 a.m. dual match against #19 Fort Hays State. The double-elimination dual match tournament will continue through Saturday, Jan. 10. The other teams participating include #1 Notre Dame (Ohio), #2 Maryville, #4 Ouachita Baptist, #5 Mercyhurst, #6 McKendree, #7 St. Cloud State, #10 Lindenwood, #11 Central Oklahoma, #12 Kutztown, #14 Newberry, #17 Upper Iowa, #19 Fort Hays State, Alderson-Broaddus, Augustana (S.D.), Central Missouri and Lake Erie.
Complete results will be available throughout the tournament on www.trackwrestling.com
- The Huskies received a #7 ranking in the latest NCAA Division II national poll on Jan. 2. SCSU is 3-1, 0-0 NSIC on the season. Individually, SCSU’s Josh Howk was ranked #8 in the nation at 149-pounds, while Clint Poster was ranked #2 in the nation at 157-pounds. Gabe Fogarty gained a #5 ranking in this week’s national poll at 165-pounds and SCSU’s Clayton Jennissen was ranked #8 at 174-pounds. The group of ranked Huskies was completed byAustin Goergen, who was ranked #4 at 285-pounds.
- SCSU captured first place at the NWCA Division II National Duals in 2012 and 2013. In 2014 and 2011, SCSU placed third at the NWCA DII National Duals.
- SCSU went 2-1 at the recent University of Central Missouri Duals on Jan. 4. The Huskies opened with a 40-6 victory over Central Missouri before falling 22-19 to #4 Ouachita Baptist. To complete the run at in Warrensburg, SCSU posted a big 46-3 victory over Newman University.
- #2 ranked Clint Poster is still a perfect 19-0 on the season at 157-pounds. He has four pins to his credit this year with four tournament titles under his belt this winter.
- Junior Tim Prescott was named the NSIC Wrestler of the Week after charting a 3-0 record at the UCM Duals. A weekend highlight was his 3-1 decision win over #4 Garrett Evans of Ouachita Baptist at 125-pounds.
- #5 Gabe Fogarty scored three wins at 165-pounds during the UCM Duals, which improved his season record to 11-1.
- #4 Austin Goergen owns an 18-1 record this season and paces the club with 12 pins in 2014-15.
- SCSU head coach Steve Costanzo is in his ninth season with the Huskies. He owns a 122-25 career record at SCSU and the Huskies own an impressive 83-4 dual record since the 2010-11 season.
- On Jan. 17, SCSU will continue its season with a trip to the Ranger Duals in Kenosha, Wisc. The tournament is hosted by UW-Parkside.
- Check out the current and complete team STATS.