The 2015 edition of the MWCA All-State Academic Wrestling Team is a Senior-dominated group with a combined GPA of 3.48. “The focus of this award is to reward some special young men; student-athletes that can get it done in the classroom and on the mat. These guys certainly represent that ideal very well!” commented Dean Jennissen, MWCA All-State Academic Chairperson.
The 28 member team consists of 24 seniors and four juniors. Two student-athletes carry a perfect 4.0 GPA: Josh Tarum of St. Thomas Academy and Nik Borchert of Mille Lacs. 21 of the 28 wrestlers carry a 3.7 or better GPA. These guys are getting it done in the classroom!
Class A led the way with 13 winners, AA 8 and Class AAA, 7. Lakeville North, Detroit Lakes, Adrian and Jackson County Central each had two wrestlers selected to the team. The team also boasts five state champions led by Junior, Mark Hall with four titles at this point in his career. The team also has won over 4300 career matches with a combined winning % of an incredible 81%! These guys are getting it done on the mat as well!
“These young men are truly the ‘cream of the crop’ and a great example of the caliber of student-athletes we have involved in wrestling state-wide. I want to especially thank our dedicated coaches for nominating their wrestlers each year,” said Jennissen. “We had 153 entries; up 47 from last year!”
The 28 honorees will be awarded plaques at the River Centre in St. Paul during the State Tournament.
Junior or senior wrestlers are chosen based upon the following criteria:
- Cumulative GPA – 3.95 x 2 = 790 points
- Overall matches wrestled – wins and losses – 1 point per match
- Winning percentage – 77% = 77 points
- State Tournament Participation – 25 points per year
- State Tournament Placement – 1st (50 points), 2nd (40), 3rd (35), 4th (25), 5th (20) and 6th (10)
Interesting Facts about the MWCA All-State Academic Wrestling Team…
- State Champs on the team are Skylar Hieronimus of Adrian, Austin Anderly of LeSueur-Henderson, Jordan Joseph of STMA, Mark Hall of Apple Valley and Alex Hart of Prior Lake.
- Joey Majerus of Zumbrota/Mazeppa, Sam Bennyhoff of Mound-Westonka, Treyton Austvold of New London-Spicer, Nick Borchert of Mille Lacs and Dillon Card of Bertha-Hewitt-Verdale were all members of the 2014 MWCA All-Academic Team
- Based upon the above criteria, this year’s highest point total was achieved by Mark Hall of Apple Valley.
- There were 153 total nominees up from 106 the previous year… great job coaches! Can we find 200 wrestlers who deserve nomination next year? We can do it!
The 2015 MWCA All-State Academic Team:
Josh Tarum (12) St. Thomas Academy (AA)
Andrew Nissen (12) Blackduck/Cass Lake-Bena (A)
Skylar Hieronimus (11) Adrian (A)
Danny Franco (12) Pelican Rapids (A)
Joey Majerus (12) Zumbrota/Mazeppa (A)
Jared Goldsmith (12) Chatfield (A)
Paul Fitterer (12) Cannon Falls/Randolph (AA)
Austin Anderly (12) LeSueur-Henderson (A)
Sam Bennyhoff (12) Mound-Westonka (AAA)
David Flynn (12) Scott West (AA)
Treyton Austvold (12) New London-Spicer (AA)
Tony Lynn (12) Adrian (A)
Jared Willaby (12) Windom/Mt. Lake (A)
Nik Borchert (12) Mille Lacs (A)
Parker Jackson (12) Detroit Lakes (AA)
Colten Carlson (11) Willmar (AAA)
Paden Moore (12) Jackson County Central (A)
Lucas Westrich (12) Lakeville North (AAA)
Mark Hall (11) Apple Valley (AAA)
Luke Norland (12) Jackson County Central (A)
Jordan Joseph (12) St. Michael-Albertville (AAA)
Drew Sathrum (12) Kenyon-Wanamingo (A)
Tristyn Hanson (12) Lakeville North (AAA)
Chris Baumann (12) Simley (AA)
Dillon Card (12) Bertha-Hewitt-Verndale (A)
Jacob Filk (12) Hutchinson (AA)
Alex Hart (12) Prior Lake (AAA)
James Huwe (11) Detroit Lakes (AA)