There were 102 athletes added to the field this weekend for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Wrestling, which will be held at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa, April 9-10.
The U.S. Senior Nationals/Trials Qualifier was held in Las Vegas, Nev. this past weekend, the largest qualifying event in the #Road2IowaCity qualifying series.
The top seven in each of the 18 Olympic weight classes qualified for the U.S. Olympic Team Trials. There were a number of athletes who placed in the top seven spots who were already qualified, which lowered the number of total new qualifiers for Iowa City.
Based upon the results in Las Vegas, there were 39 new men’s freestyle qualifiers, 30 new Greco-Roman qualifiers, and 33 new women’s freestyle qualifiers
At this time, the total number of qualifiers through the #Road2IowaCity qualifying process is 167 wrestlers. This includes 56 men’s freestyle wrestlers, 56 Greco-Roman wrestlers, and 55 women’s freestyle wrestlers.
Click here for U.S. Olympic Team Trials Qualifiers, through December 20, 2015:
The next #Road2IowaCity Trials Qualifiers event is the Dave Schultz Memorial International, scheduled for the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo, January 28-30, 2016. This is a qualifier in all three Olympic styles. The highest placing USA athlete in each weight class winning a medal who has not yet qualified will advance to Iowa City. There is a maximum total of 18 qualifiers possible at this competition.
Note: Women freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestlers who win a medal on an international tour event within the year also may qualify for the U.S. Olympic Team Trials.
All-session tickets to the U.S. Olympic Wrestling Team Trials are available for purchase. All-session options include adult ($75), and youth (18 and younger, $50). VIP tickets are sold out. Fans can purchase tickets at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, over the phone at 1-800-IA-HAWKS, or online at iowacitytorio.com.
Remaining #Road2IowaCity Trials Qualifiers
- January 28-30 – Dave Schultz Memorial International, Colorado Springs, Colo. (FS/GR/W)**
- February 12-13 – WCWA Women’s College Nationals, Oklahoma City, Okla. (W)**
- February 20-21– Armed Forces Championships, Naval Base KITSAP, Seattle, Wash. (GR)
- February 26-28 – Pan American Championships, Frisco, Texas (FS/GR/W)
- March 4-6 – Pan American Olympic Games Qualifier, Frisco, Texas (FS/GR/W)
- March 17-19 – NCAA Div. I Championships, New York, N.Y. (GR/FS)
- March 26 – Women’s University Nationals, Oklahoma City, Okla. (W)**
- April 2-3 – Last Chance Trials Qualifier, Cedar Falls, Iowa (FS/GR/W)**
** – #Road2IowaCity events currently scheduled for Flowrestling broadcasts
For specific information on the Athlete Selection Procedures for the 2016 Olympic Games, visit:
Athlete Selection Procedures – Women’s Freestyle
Athlete Selection Procedures – Men’s Freestyle
Athlete Selection Procedures – Greco-Roman