The #2 St. Cloud State wrestling team (8-1, 0-0 NSIC) will open its 2015-16 NSIC season with a pair of league dual matches this weekend. On Jan. 22 at 7 p.m., the Huskies will wrestle at Minnesota State Moorhead (5-4, 0-2 NSIC) and on Jan. 23 at 2 p.m., the Huskies will travel to Northern State (4-7, 0-1 NSIC).
The Huskies are the four-time defending NSIC champions and will be looking to capture their fifth consecutive league title in 2015-16. SCSU is 31-0 in NSIC action since beginning its four-year title run in 2011-12. Overall, SCSU is 86-4 since the start of the 2011-12 season under the leadership of head coach Steve Costanzo.
PROBABLE SCSU STARERS AT MSUM and NSU:
125 Pounds: #1 Tim Prescott (6-2) or Brett Velasquez (14-2)
133 Pounds: Jarred Oftedahl (15-7) or Tyler Pasvogel (6-6)
141 Pounds: Taner Trembley (12-4) or Travis Swanson (11-8)
149 Pounds: #6 Jay Hildreth (20-4) or Noah Cuzzetto (1-8)
157 Pounds: Larry Bomstad (12-3) or Travis Holt (14-5)
165 Pounds: #1 Clint Poster (23-1) or Josh Berg (12-6)
174 Pounds: #4 Clayton Jennissen (18-5) or Vince Dietz (14-6 )
184 Pounds: Uthman Rabiu (13-6) or Chavez Farris (7-3)
197 Pounds: VJ Giulio (12-4) or Trae Story (9-7)
285 Pounds: #1 Austin Goergen (21-0) or Michael Hobbs (7-5 )
Fans can follow the action from the dual matches at Northern State and MSU-Moorhead on www.trackwrestling.com.
St. Cloud State Wrestling News and Notes:
- St. Cloud State senior Jay Hildreth was named the NSIC Wrestler of the Week and the NCAA Division II Super 3 Regional Wrestler of the Week for his work at the Ranger Duals.
- Hildreth helped lead the #2 ranked Huskies to a pair of key dual match victories on Jan. 16 at the Ranger Duals tournament in Kenosha, Wisc. At 149-pounds, Hildreth started his day with a 4:30 pinfall win against Tony Vaughn during the Huskies’ 34-8 victory over #18 Indianapolis on Jan. 16. Hildreth, who is ranked #6 in the last DII poll at 149-pounds, completed his afternoon at the Ranger Duals with an impressive 9-1 major decision win over #5 nationally ranked Frank Yaltoni of #6 ranked Wisconsin-Parkside. Hildreth’s record improves to 20-4 on the season for the Huskies. Hildreth’s win vs. UWP helped lead the Huskies to a 25-15 win over the Rangers on Jan. 16 in Kenosha, Wisc.
- The Huskies improved to 8-1 on the season with three wins at the 2016 Ranger Duals in Kenosha, Wisc. on Jan. 16.
- SCSU gained a 28-14 win over #19 McKendree at the Ranger Duals and followed that with a 34-8 victory over #18 Indianapolis and a 25-15 win over #6 UW-Parkside.
- In the latest NWCA DII national poll released last week, the Huskies maintained their number two team ranking.
- SCSU’s Clint Poster (165), Tim Prescott (125) and Austin Goergen (285) all received number one rankings in the latest DII national polls, while Jay Hildreth moved into the polls with a #6 ranking at 149-pounds and Clayton Jennissen was ranked #4 at 174-pounds.
- The four-time defending NSIC champions, SCSU will begin defense of its league crown on Jan. 22 with a dual meeting at Minnesota State Moorhead. On Jan. 23, the Huskies will be on the road at NSIC foe Northern State.
- SCSU is 31-0 in NSIC action since beginning its four-year title run in 2011-12. Overall, SCSU is 86-4 since the start of the 2011-12 season under the leadership of head coach Steve Costanzo.
- #1 ranked Clint Poster is 23-1 this season for the Huskies at 165-pounds.
- #1 ranked Austin Goergen is 21-0 this season and this total includes 14 pins already this season. He is closing in on the team record of 19 pins in a season set by Goergen in 2013-14.
- SCSU will host Southwest Minnesota State in a league dual on Feb. 4. The 7 p.m. match will take place at nearby Pierz-Healy H.S.