There were 14 athletes added to the field in late January for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Wrestling, which will be held at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa, April 9-10.
The major qualifying event just held was the Dave Schultz Memorial International, held at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo, January 28-30. The highest placing USA athlete in each weight class winning a medal who had not yet qualified advanced to Iowa City. There were 12 athletes who qualified for Iowa City at the Dave Schultz Memorial, seven in men’s freestyle, six in Greco-Roman and one in women’s freestyle.
Within the provisions for Greco-Roman team selection, an athlete who wins a medal on an international tour event within the year qualifies for the U.S. Olympic Team Trials. Two more Greco-Roman wrestlers met qualifying standards by winning a medal over the last two weekends.
On January 23, Greco-Roman wrestler Daniel Miller of the U.S. Marine Corps won a bronze medal at 98 kg/215 lbs. at the Grand Prix Zagreb Open in Zagreb, Croatia. On January 30, Greco-Roman wrestler Michael Brant won a bronze medal at 80 kg/176 lbs. at the Paris International in Paris, France.
The athletes added to the Olympic Trials field were:
- Men’s freestyle 57 kg/125.5 pounds– Alan Waters, Columbia, Mo. (Missouri Wrestling Foundation)
- Men’s freestyle 65 kg/143 pounds – Jayson Ness, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
- Men’s freestyle 74 kg/163 pounds – Kevin LeValley, Williamsport, Pa. (Buffalo Valley RTC)
- Men’s freestyle 86 kg/189 pounds– Austin Trotman, San Gabriel, Calif. (Titan Mercury WC)
- Men’s freestyle 97 kg/213 pounds – Cayle Byers, Stillwater, Okla. (Titan Mercury WC)
- Men’s freestyle 125 kg/275 pounds – Matt Meuleners, Lincoln, Neb. (Titan Mercury WC)
- Greco-Roman 66 kg/145.5 pounds– RaVaughn Perkins, Omaha, Neb. (New York AC)
- Greco-Roman 75 kg/165 pounds– Dillon Cowan, Colorado Springs, Colo. (U.S. Army WCAP)
- Greco-Roman 85 kg/187 pounds – Courtney Meyers, Colorado Springs, Colo. (U.S. Army WCAP)
- Greco-Roman 85 kg/187 pounds – Michael Brant, Camp LeJeune, N.C. (U.S. Marine Corps)
- Greco-Roman 98 kg/215 pounds– Daniel Miller, Camp LeJeune, N.C. (U.S. Marine Corps)
- Greco-Roman 98 kg/215 pounds– Patrick Carey, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
- Greco-Roman 130 kg/286 pounds– Tyrell Fortune, Tempe, Ariz. (Titan Mercury WC)
- Women’s freestyle 69 kg/152 lbs. – Brittney Roberts, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Sunkist Kids)
At this time, the total number of qualifiers through the #Road2IowaCity qualifying process is 182 wrestlers. This includes 63 men’s freestyle wrestlers, 63 Greco-Roman wrestlers and 56 women’s freestyle wrestlers.
The next #Road2IowaCity Trials Qualifiers event is the WCWA Women’s College National Championships, set for Oklahoma City, Okla., February 12-13. This is a qualifier in women’s freestyle only. The top three athletes in each weight category from this event earn a spot at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials. There is a maximum total of 30 qualifiers possible at this competition.
Note: Women freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestlers who win a medal on an international tour event within the year also may qualify for the U.S. Olympic Team Trials.
All-session tickets to the U.S. Olympic Wrestling Team Trials are available for purchase. All-session options include adult ($75), and youth (18 and younger, $50). VIP tickets are sold out. Fans can purchase tickets at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, over the phone at 1-800-IA-HAWKS, or online at iowacitytorio.com.
Remaining #Road2IowaCity Trials Qualifiers
- February 12-13 – WCWA Women’s College Nationals, Oklahoma City, Okla. (W)**
- February 20-21– Armed Forces Championships, Naval Base KITSAP, Seattle, Wash. (GR)
- February 26-28 – Pan American Championships, Frisco, Texas (FS/GR/W)
- March 4-6 – Pan American Olympic Games Qualifier, Frisco, Texas (FS/GR/W)
- March 17-19 – NCAA Div. I Championships, New York, N.Y. (GR/FS)
- March 26 – Women’s University Nationals, Oklahoma City, Okla. (W)**
- April 2-3 – Last Chance Trials Qualifier, Cedar Falls, Iowa (FS/GR/W)**
** – #Road2IowaCity events currently scheduled for Flowrestling broadcasts
For specific information on the Athlete Selection Procedures for the 2016 Olympic Games, visit: