The #2 ranked St. Cloud State University wrestling team (14-1, 6-0 NSIC) will host its first dual match of the season in Halenbeck Hall on Thursday, Feb. 11 at 7 p.m. The Huskies will and the #8 Upper Iowa University Peacocks will match up in a key NSIC showdown. Upper Iowa brings a 14-1, 7-0 NSIC record into the match against the Huskies on Feb. 11.
A victory for Upper Iowa would clinch the league title for the Peacocks, while the Huskies will be looking to defend their NSIC crown for the fifth consecutive season. SCSU has won league championships in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015, and it will complete its NSIC schedule on Feb. 19 with a home match against Augustana University.
The match on Feb. 11 has been designated as Youth/Middle School/Prep Night and Military Appreciation Night at SCSU Wrestling. All youth in grades K-12 will be admitted to the match for just $1. In addition, all members of the military and veterans will be admitted FREE to the match. Just show your military ID or papers and you get in FREE as appreciation for your service to our country!
PROBABLE STARTERS FOR #2 SCSU vs. #8 UPPER IOWA
125 – #1 Tim Prescott (11-2)
133 – Jarred Oftedahl (20-8)
141 – Matt Nelson (10-6)
149 – #5 Jay Hildreth (24-4)
157 – Larry Bomstad (15-3)
165 – #1 Clint Poster (29-1)
174 – Clayton Jennissen (23-6)
184 – Uthman Rabiu (16-6)
197 – V.J. Giulio (17-4)
285 – #1 Austin Goergen (26-1)
ST. CLOUD STATE WRESTLING NEWS AND NOTES
- St. Cloud State is ranked #2 in the nation in the latest NCAA Division II poll. Individually, SCSU’s Tim Prescott (#1 at 125), Jay Hildreth (#5 at 149), Clint Poster (#1 at 165), Clayton Jennissen (#4 at 174) and Austin Goergen (#1 at 285) also gained top DII national rankings in the poll.
- The Huskies improved to 14-1 overall and 6-0 in NSIC competition with a 41-3 win over Southwest Minnesota State on Feb. 4 and a 30-5 win over Minnesota State on Feb. 6.
- The match against SMSU was contested at nearby Pierz-Healy High School in Pierz, Minn. SCSU’s Clint Poster attended Healy High School.
- On the topic of Clint Poster, the senior owns a 29-1 overall record this season at 165 with 15 falls to his credit.
- Larry Bomstad highlighted his week with a 13-7 victory over #2 nationally ranked Matt Mincey of Minnesota State on Feb. 6. Bomstad took advantage of a near fall late in the third period to gain the win over Mincey. The victory improves Bomstad’s season record to 15-3 overall.
- At 184-pounds on Feb. 6, SCSU’s Uthman Rabiu gained a 3-1 upset win over #8 ranked Scott VanDeLoo of Minnesota State. Rabiu now owns a 16-6 record this season for the Huskies.
- #1 ranked Austin Goergen lost his first match of the season on Feb. 4 but he returned quickly with a fall at 6:57 against MSU’s Malcom Allen. Goergen now owns a 26-1 record with 15 falls to his credit in 2015-16.
- Jay Hildreth moves to 24-4 on the season with his wins at 149-pounds against SMSU and MSU last week.
- The Huskies will continue their season on Feb. 11 with a 7 p.m. dual against NSIC rival Upper Iowa. SCSU will finish it regular season NSIC dual schedule with a Feb. 19 match at 7 p.m. against Augustana University
- The Huskies are the four-time defending NSIC champions and have charted a perfect 29-0 record in league matches since 2011-12. SCSU has not lost a conference dual since the 2010-11 season.
- As SCSU approaches its match-up against #8 ranked Upper Iowa, a few matches to watch include 133-pounds and 165-pounds. Upper Iowa’s Matt Paulus is ranked #8 in the nation at 133-pounds and Zak Benitz is ranked #5 in the nation at 165-pounds.