MINNEAPOLIS — Claiming one champion, five runner-ups and ten placewinners in Gold division brackets, the Augsburg College wrestling team opened its season at its Auggie-Adidas Open, held on Saturday at Si Melby Hall. Augsburg had 16 overall placewinners at the event. No team results were kept at the open meet
Alex Wilson (SO, Oak Grove, Minn./St. Francis HS) opened his Auggie season with a championship at the 149 pound weight class. He posted an 11-0 major decision in his opening match and 7-0 and 8-4 decisions respectively to make his way to the finals. In the championship Wilson was able to earn an 11-7 decision over UW-Lacrosse’s Kal Gerber to claim his first collegiate individual tournament championship.
At 157 pounds Grant Parker (SR, Onalaska, Wis.), ranked No. 1 nationally, finished second in the Gold division going 3-1 on the day. After posting an 8-2 decision, a 13-1 major decision and a 5-3 decision, Parker fell 3-2 in the finals to Upper Iowa’s Zak Benitz.
Ranked No. 4 nationally at 133 pounds, Sam Bennyhoff (SO, Mound, Minn./Mound-Westonka HS) claimed runner-up honors. Bennyhoff claimed two decisions and a 15-7 major decision in route to his second consecutive Auggie Open final appearance. In the final Bennyhoff fell 14-10 to UW-Lacrosse’s Ryan Weinmann.
Making his Auggie debut Victor Gliva (FY, Farmington, Minn./Farmington HS) claimed runner-up honors at 125 pounds. Gliva’s route to the final included an upset of top-seeded Malek Williams of Upper Iowa before he fell to Nelson Baker of UW-Lacrosse by fall.
Austin Boniface (SR, Wyoming, Minn./Forest Lake HS) finished second at 174 pounds claiming a pin, decision and medical forfeit on his way to the finals where he fell to top-seeded Adam Cooling from Minnesota State University Mankato.
At 184 pounds Owen Webster (FY, Shakopee, Minn./Shakopee HS) posted three technical falls on his way to the finals where he fell to Minnesota State Mankato’s Matt Blome.
Logan Hortop (SR, Faribault, Minn./Faribault HS) posted two pins and a decision in route to a third-place finish at 197 pounds.
Jackson Graham (JR, Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley HS) finished 3-1 on the day to claim fifth place at 174 pounds.
At 165 pounds, Brady McFarland (SO, Windlake, Wis./Muskego HS) went 2-2 and finished in sixth place.
Mike Hayes (SO, Oconomowoc, Wis./Kettle Moraine HS) also finished in sixth-place with a 2-2 record for the Auggies at 141 pounds.
AUGSBURG RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
• 125 Gold: Victor Gliva 3-1, 2nd place.
• 133 Gold: Sam Bennyhoff 3-1, 2nd place.
• 133 Silver: Monty Frederiksen 2-1, 5th place.
• 141 Gold: Mike Hayes 2-2, 6th place; Justo Ramirez 1-2.
• 149 Gold: Alex Wilson 4-0, 1st place.
• 149 Silver: Ryan Epps 3-0, co-1st place place; Tanner Vassar 3-0, co-1st place.
• 149 Bronze: Josh Verbeten 3-0, 1st place.
• 157 Gold: Grant Parker 3-1, 2nd place; Bryce Zdanovec 0-2.
• 157 Silver: Boone Young 2-2, 6th place.
• 165 Gold: Brady McFarland 2-2, 6th place; Gable Frandsen 2-2; Tone Fuenffinger 1-2.
• 165 Silver: Cameron Schmitz 3-1, 5th place.
• 174 Gold: Austin Boniface 3-1, 2nd place; Jackson Graham 3-1, 5th place.
• 174 Silver: Julian Georgescu 2-1, consolation winner.
• 184 Gold: Owen Webster 3-1, 2nd place; Brandonn Gore 1-2.
• 197 Gold: Logan Hortop 3-1, 3rd place; Cole Durbin 0-2, Niko Anderson 1-2.
• 197 Silver: Brent Chambers 0-2; Jonathan Zarnke 2-2, consolation winner.
• HWT Silver: Ethan Hofacker 2-2, 4th place.
• Augsburg returns to action on Tuesday (11/22) when the Auggies travel to Northfield, Minn. to take on St. Olaf College in a dual meet at 7 p.m.