The #1 ranked St. Cloud State University wrestling team (14-1, 5-0 NSIC) will continue its quest for its sixth consecutive NSIC championship with a pair of league dual matches this week. On Thursday, Feb. 9, the Huskies will travel to #19 ranked Upper Iowa (9-4, 5-2 NSIC) for a dual in Fayette, Iowa at 7 p.m. SCSU will complete the week with a home dual match against the University of Mary (6-7, 2-4 NSIC) at 2 p.m. in Halenbeck Hall. This will be SCSU’s final regular season home dual match of the season and it has been designated as SCSU Senior Day.
FOLLOW THE HUSKIES:
LIVE STATS: SCSU vs. Upper Iowa, SCSU vs. Mary | LIVE VIDEO: Stretch Internet Video (Free) | LIVE AUDIO: KVSC Sports Stream with John Peterson
SCSU Wrestling News and Notes:
- The Huskies now own a six-match dual match win streak thanks to their 42-3 win over NSIC rival Minot State on Feb. 3 and a 35-12 win over Minnesota State on Feb. 4. Both matches took place at Halenbeck Hall in St. Cloud, Minn.
- SCSU was ranked #1 in the latest DII national poll as a team and nine Huskies were ranked individually in the poll led by #1 Austin Goergen at 285. Also ranked were Matt Nelson (#6 at 141), James Pleski (#10 at 149), Vince Dietz (#5 at 197), Clayton Jennissen (#4 at 174), Uthman Rabiu (#6 at 184), Larry Bomstad (#9 at 157), Brett Velasquez (#5 at 125) and Gabe Fogarty (#10 at 165).
- SCSU returns to action in the always rugged NSIC with a pair of dates this week. On Feb. 9, SCSU will travel to #19 Upper Iowa for a 7 p.m. match and on Feb. 11, SCSU will host Mary at 2 p.m. This match will feature a salute to the SCSU seniors for 2016-17.
- Austin Goergen owns an 20-0 record this season at 285 and Vince Dietz is 22-2 at 197 for the Huskies. SCSU’s Clayton Jennissen is 22-6 at 174-pounds in 2016-17.
- In his career with the Huskies, Goergen is 124-12 with 62 falls to his credit. Goergen is one pin away from tying the team record for career pins that was set by Tad Merritt with 63 from 2008-12. Of note, the team record for most career wins is 148-16, which was set by the legendary Clint Poster from 2012-16.
- SCSU will salute its senior class on Saturday, Feb. 11 in the match against U-Mary. The seniors being saluted include: Josh Berg, Chavez Farris, Gabe Fogarty, Austin Goergen, Clayton Jennissen, Adam Josephson, Taylor Lewandowski, Matt Nelson, Tyler Pasvogel, Daniel Polanco, Uthman Rabiu and Mike Rhone. This class has been part of one of the most successful four-year runs in team history. The Huskies have won two NCAA DII titles and three NSIC titles over the past four seasons, which includes a 66-5 dual match record and a perfect 29-0 record in NSIC dual matches,
- This year’s senior class includes three-time All-Americans Gabe Fogarty and Austin Goergen along with two-time All-American Matt Nelson and one-time All-Americans Clayton Jennissen and Mike Rhone.
- In four seasons with the Huskies, Jennissen has won 106 career matches and Fogarty has won 86 matches as a Husky over the years.
- Redshirt freshman James Pleski is 19-6 this year at 149-pounds. He recently moved into the national polls with a #10 ranking at 149-pounds.
- Last year in St. Cloud, the Huskies gained a 35-3 win at home over Upper Iowa and a 42-3 win at Mary. The last time SCSU was at Upper Iowa, the Huskies posted a 26-6 win in Fayette on Feb. 15, 2015.
SCSU Probables This Week vs. Upper Iowa and Mary:
125 – #5 Brett Velasquez 14-2 or Jordan Aquino 11-4
133 – Jarred Oftedahl 14-4 or Mike Rhone 13-4
141 – Travis Swanson 8-5 or #6 Matt Nelson 8-1
149 – #10 James Pleski 19-6
157 – Brett Stolarzyk 10-7 or #9 Larry Bomstad 14-2 or Travis Holt 10-5
165 – #10 Gabe Fogarty 17-7 OR Josh Berg 8-4
174 – #4 Clayton Jennissen 22-6
184 – #6 Uthman Rabiu 13-3 or Chevy Farris 7-5
197 – #5 Vince Dietz 22-2 or Adam Josephson 8-2
285 – #1 Austin Goergen 20-0 or Michael Hobbs 9-3