The new series of summer camps – hosted by head coach Brandon Eggum – will teach a variety of skills to wrestlers of all ages for two weeks in late June
Registration opens today for this summer’s University of Minnesota Wrestling Camps, which will feature five unique, multi-day camps over the course of two weeks in late June. One set of camps is opening to wrestlers age six to 12, the other set is focused on wrestlers age 12 to 18.
The camp will feature expert instruction from the Gopher wrestling staff, which includes:
- Head coach Brandon Egggum (three-time NCAA All-American, NCAA finalist, world freestyle silver medalist)
- Head assistant coach Luke Becker (four-time NCAA All-American, 2002 NCAA Champion)
- Assistant coach Dustin Schlatter (three-time NCAA All-American, 2006 NCAA Champion, multiple-time international medalist)
- Volunteer assistant coach Zach Sanders (four-time NCAA All-American)
In addition, the camp will feature additional instruction from equally decorated Gopher alums, including:
- Tony Nelson (four-time NCAA All-American, three-time NCAA finalist; 2012 and 2013 NCAA Champion, multiple-time international medalist)
- Jayson Ness (four-time NCAA All-American, two-time NCAA finalist; 2010 NCAA Champion)
- Dylan Ness (four-time NCAA All-American, two-time NCAA finalist)
Camps will be held at the Bierman Field Athletic Building, the same place where the Gophers have trained All-Americans and National Champions for nearly 50 years. Hosting camps at the home of Gopher Wrestling also means campers can expect to see current and recently graduated Gopher standouts on the mat showcasing some of the skills and techniques that have made them successful.
The 2017 University of Minnesota Wrestling Camps start up on Monday, June 19 with the Maroon Camp (ages six to 12) and the Gold Camp (ages 12 to 18). Those sessions will run simultaneously through Thursday, June 22.
The following week, young wrestlers are welcome to return to Bierman on for the Rumble Camp (ages six to 12) from Monday, June 26 through Thursday, June 29, with older wrestlers invited to the Turn & Pin Camp on Monday and Tuesday (June 26 and 27) and the Takedown Camp on Wednesday and Thursday (June 28 and 29). Those sessions are open to wrestlers age 12 to 18.
To register for any of the five camps or for more information, be sure to visit UniversityOfMinnesotaWrestlingCamps.com.