The #1 ranked St. Cloud State University wrestling team (14-0, 3-0 NSIC) will be on the road once again for a 7 p.m. match at Northern State University (1-8, 0-2 NSIC) in Aberdeen, S.D. on Thursday, Jan. 25.
This marks SCSU 14th consecutive dual match away from the friendly confines of Halenbeck Hall this season. SCSU will continue its road warrior status with matches at MSU Moorhead on Feb. 1 and MSU Mankato on Feb. 3 before finishing the regular season with home dual matches against Upper Iowa on Feb. 8 and Augustana on Feb. 15. Of note, SCSU will also host the 2018 NCAA Division II Super Regional 3 in Halenbeck Hall on Feb. 23-24.
SCSU Wrestling Notes and News:
- SCSU was ranked #1 in the latest NCAA DII national poll. Individually, Larry Bomstad (157) was ranked #1 in the nation, while Brett Velasquez was #5 at 125. James Pleski was ranked #1 at 149 and Jarred Oftedahl was ranked 3rd at 141. Travis Holt is now ranked #6 at 165 and Kolton Eischens is ranked 3rd at 174. At 197, Vince Dietz earned a 6th place ranking and Lawrence Phillips was ranked #10 at 285.
- SCSU returned to the NSIC race with a pair of 32-6 victories at Minot State on Jan. 19 and Mary on Jan. 20. SCSU is now 14-0, 3-0 NSIC.
- SCSU is the six-time defending NSIC champions and have won league titles in 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.
- #1 ranked Larry Bomstad scored a win this weekend against Mary and now owns a 20-0 record this season.
- SCSU owns a 14-0, 3-0 NSIC record this season. The Huskies have now won 23 consecutive dual matches dating back to 2016-17.
- SCSU wrestling fans should mark Feb. 23-24 on their calendars as the Huskies will host the 2018 NCAA Division II Super 3 Regional in Halenbeck Hall.
- Coach Steve Costanzo is 183-28 during his career at SCSU. His teams have only lost seven dual matches total since the 2010-11 season.
- Other notable Huskies this year in terms of top individual records include Velasquez (17-2), Oftedahl (19-2), Pleski (17-1), Holt (18-3), FitzPatrick (15-3), Dietz (23-1) and Phillips (20-4).
- Phillips leads SCSU with 11 falls this season.
- The Huskies are 470-145 this season for individual matches and this includes 143 falls.
- SCSU has not lost a dual match to Northern State since a 25-12 setback on Jan. 12, 2006. SCSU has not lost a dual match in NSIC action since an 18-13 loss at Augustana on Jan. 27, 2011.
SCSU’s Probable Starters at Northern State:
125: #5 Brett Velasquez (17-2)
133: Joel Salomon (11-5)
141: #3 Jarred Oftedahl (19-2 )
149: #1 James Pleski (17-1)
157: #1 Larry Bomstad (20-0)
165: #6 Travis Holt (18-3)
174: Devin FitzPatrick (15-3)
184: Tyree Overton (9-4)
197: #6 Vince Dietz (23-1)
285: #10 Lawrence Phillips (20-4)