Fast Start Lifts Jackrabbits In League Opener
OREM, Utah – South Dakota State raced out to a 15-0 lead through three matches and carried the momentum through the remainder of their Big 12 Conference dual opener, defeating Utah Valley, 31-10, Friday night at Lockhart Arena.
The 15th-ranked Jackrabbits notched their sixth dual victory in a row to improve to 6-2 overall. Utah Valley dropped to 5-3 overall and 2-1 in Big 12 action.
Sophomore 141-pounder Henry Pohlmeyer trailed 6-0 early in his match against the Wolverines’ Matt Findlay, but came back to post a first-period pin to put SDSU out front 6-0.
At 149 pounds, Colten Carlson also dug himself an early hole as he trailed Grant LaMont, 8-1, in the first period. Carlson scored on a reversal to end the first period, then continued his rally in the second stanza with an escape and four takedowns against a hobbled LaMont to grab a 12-11 lead before his opponent retired due to injury late in the period. That gave the Jackrabbits an additional six points and a 12-0 lead.
Luke Zilverberg, ranked 10th at 157 pounds, continued the early blitz with a 6-0 shutout of Raider Lofthouse to push the SDSU advantage to 15-0.
Sixteenth-ranked Demetrius Romero, a transfer from Boise State, put the Wolverines on the board with an 11-3 major decision over Logan Peterson in the 165-pound match, but the Jackrabbits reeled off three more wins in a row to put the dual out of reach. David Kocer, ranked ninth at 174 pounds, started the string with a 6-2 decision over Kimball Bastian.
Adding wins for the Jackrabbits were Martin Mueller, by a 14-6 major decision over Gary Jantzer at 184 pounds, and 11th-ranked Nate Rotert, who posted a 4-2 decision over Tanner Orndorff in the 197-pound matchup.
Utah Valley got wins by decision from Dustin Dennison and seventh-ranked Taylor LaMont late in the dual. Dennison downed Alex Macki, 6-2, while LaMont held off a late charge from SDSU freshman Connor Brown for an 8-7 victory.
Seth Gross, the top-ranked wrestler at 133 pounds, closed the dual with his seventh pin of the season, a first-period fall over UVU’s Durbin Lloren.
The Jackrabbits close their road trip by facing Air Force (6-1 overall, 1-0 Big 12) in a Sunday matinee. Start time is set for 11 a.m. Mountain Time (noon Central) at Clune Arena on the Air Force Academy campus near Colorado Springs, Colorado. The dual can be viewed through FloWrestling.org.
* Utah Valley leads the all-time series, 8-5, although the Jackrabbits have won the last four matchups
* SDSU improved to 15-3 in duals against record versus Big 12 opponents since joining the league as an affiliate member at the start of the 2015-16 season
* Gross has now won 27 dual matches in a row dating back to late in the 2015-16 season
* Rotert also remained unbeaten in duals this season, improving to 7-0
* Kocer moved into sole possession of 16th place in career wins at SDSU with 95, breaking a tie with Stan Opp (94-19-1 record from 1970-73)
* Zilverberg took over sole possession of 20th place in school history with his 87th career win, breaking a tie with Bryan Guzzo (86-47 record from 1986-89)
* Rotert notched career win No. 86 to tie Guzzo for 21st place on the SDSU career victories list
#15 South Dakota State 31, Utah Valley 10
141: Henry Pohlmeyer (SDSU) def. Matt Findlay (UVU), by fall 2:03
149: Colten Carlson (SDSU) def. Grant LaMont (UVU), by injury default 4:26
157: #10 Luke Zilverberg (SDSU) dec. Raider Lofthouse (UVU), 6-0
165: #16 Demetrius Romero (UVU) major dec. Logan Peterson (SDSU), 11-3
174: #9 David Kocer (SDSU) dec. Kimball Bastian (UVU), 6-2
184: Martin Mueller (SDSU) major dec. Gary Jantzer (UVU), 14-6
197: #11 Nate Rotert (SDSU) dec. Tanner Orndorff (UVU), 4-2
285: Dustin Dennison (UVU) dec. Alex Macki (SDSU), 6-2
125: #7 Taylor LaMont (UVU) dec. Connor Brown (SDSU), 8-7
133: #1 Seth Gross SDSU) def. Durbin Lloren (UVU), by fall 2:55