The 2018 NCAA Division II Super 3 Regional tournament on Friday, Feb. 23 and Saturday, Feb. 24 in SCSU’s Halenbeck Hall. The action will get underway in St. Cloud, Minn. on Feb. 23 with doors opening at 9:00 a.m. and the first round of action starting at 10:0 a.m.
The tournament serves as a qualifier for the upcoming 2018 NCAA Division II championships that will be held in Cedar Rapids, Iowa on March 9-10. The top four wrestlers in the 10 weight brackets will advance to nationals.
Fans can get complete tournament information by visiting the 2018 NCAA DII Super 3 website.
The Huskies will be looking to continue the success they have enjoyed during the 2017-18 season, which has placed them atop the most recent NCAA Division II national poll. The Huskies also have nine nationally ranked wrestlers listed on the most recent DII poll.
SCSU charted a perfect 19-0, 8-0 NSIC record in 2017-18. The Huskies collected their seventh consecutive NSIC championship this winter and also won the NWCA Division II National Duals title for the second consecutive season in 2018.
The defending NCAA Division II Super 3 Regional championships, SCSU has won the regional title in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2017. In 2015 and 2016, the Huskies were the regional runner-up and in 2014, SCSU placed third.
Last year, the Huskies qualified nine wrestlers out of the regional for NCAA finals competition. At the NCAA championships, SCSU has been a prime player over the past decade. In 2017, the Huskies placed second in the nation after winning the NCAA Division II championship in 2015 and 2016. The Huskies have also finished as the runner-up at the NCAA Division II championships in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2017 along with a sixth-place finish in 2014 and a seventh-place finish in 2010.
SCSU’S REGIONAL STARTERS
(probable starters for SCSU at the NCAA Regional)
125: #4 Brett Velasquez (22-2)
133: Adam Hedin (15-6)
141: #6 Jarred Oftedahl (24-2)
149: #1 James Pleski (22-1)
157: #3 Larry Bomstad (22-2)
165: #5 Devin FitzPatrick (18-3)
174: #5 Kolton Eischens (26-3)
184: #7 Tyree Overton (10-6)
197: #4 Vince Dietz (27-2)
285: #12 Lawrence Phillips (25-4)
SCSU REGIONAL NOTEBOOK:
- SCSU returning athletes who qualified for the NCAA DII championships last year include Brett Velasquez at 125, Larry Bomstad at 157, James Pleski at 149 and Jarred Oftedahl at 141. Velasquez earned All-America status last year with a 3rd place finish at 125. He also won the title at 125 in 2016. Bomstad is a two-time All-American, who placed third at 157 last year, while Pleski gained his first All-America honor with a fourth-place finish at 149.
- SCSU won the 2017 NCAA DII regional title with 147.0 points last year, while McKendree was second with 121 and Maryville was third at 102.
- At the regional in 2017, SCSU’s Velasquez placed first at 125. Oftedahl was third at 141, Pleski was third at 149, Bomstad was 2nd at 157 and Vince Dietz was fifth at 197. SCSU wrestlers who placed last year as seniors included Mike Rhone (3rd at 133), Gabe Fogarty (3rd at 165), Clayton Jennissen (2nd at 174), Uthman Rabiu (4th at 184) and Austin Goergen (3rd at 285).
- Lawrence Phillips leads the Huskies with 13 pins in 2017-18.
- Vince Dietz tops the charts for the Huskies with 27 wins this season, while Phillips is second with 25 wins. Eischens (26-3), Oftedahl (24), Pleski (22), Bomstad (22) and Velasquez (22) are also members of SCSU’s 20-win club this season.
- Jarred Oftedahl has scored 89 wins during his career at SCSU, and Larry Bomstad has won 92 carer matches. Brett Velasquez has scored a 72-7 record during his time at SCSU.
- Steve Costanzo is in his 12th season at SCSU. He has won seven NSIC titles with the Huskies, two NCAA DII titles, four NCAA DII regional titles and four NWCA DII National Duals titles during his tenure in St. Cloud. His career record with the Huskies is 188-28, and the Huskies have gained a 149-7 record since 2010-11.
- SCSU has won 28 consecutive dual matches dating back to a 22-17 loss to Indianapolis on Jan. 14, 2017. SCSU has won 60 consecutive NSIC dual matches and has not lost a dual match in league competition since an 18-13 setback on Jan. 27, 2011 at Augustana.
- The last time that SCSU hosted the NCAA DII Regional, the Huskies captured first place in 2012. SCSU also hosted the regional in 2004 (9th pace finish that season).
Check out this Week’s SCSU Sports Chat with Mick Hatten – Lawrence Phillips and Coach Jay Hildreth