EAU CLAIRE, Wis. — Augsburg University wrestlers combined to win 48 matches, claiming one individual title and two co-titlists, at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Don Parker Open on Saturday.
Twenty-four Augsburg wrestlers combined to go 48-35 on Saturday, including 20 bonus-point wins — 15 pins, five technical falls, and five major decisions. Augsburg had 11 placewinners on the day.
Ryan Epps (SO, Cannon Falls, Minn./Cannon Falls HS), ranked No. 3 nationally at 157 pounds, improved to 32-1 on the season with his fifth tournament championship of the campaign, with a pin and major decision, along with an 8-2 win over James Berg of Division I Minnesota in the semifinals. Of his 32 wins, 12 are bonus-point wins (seven pins, one technical fall, four major decisions), and he has now won 16 matches in a row.
Twins Aaron Wilson (SO, Oak Grove, Minn./St. Francis HS) and Alex Wilson (JR, Oak Grove, Minn./St. Francis HS) shared a title for the second time this season, with a co-championship at 149. Alex Wilson, ranked No. 4 nationally, had two technical falls among his four wins to improve to 26-4 on the season, while Aaron Wilson won all four of his matches by pin, improving to 26-6 in the process.
No. 7-ranked 197-pounder Lance Benick (FY, Fridley, Minn./Totino-Grace HS) finished second in his weight class, going 3-1 with a pin and major decision. Benick is now 6-3 on the year.
Tanner Vassar (SO, Maple Lake, Minn./Maple Lake HS), ranked No. 10 nationally at 174, finished third with a 4-1 effort. Sebastian Larson (SR, River Falls, Wis./River Falls HS), ranked No. 7 at 184, also placed third with a 4-1 effort, as did Wyatt Richardson (SO, Grand Meadow, Minn./Grand Meadow HS) at 197.
Top-ranked 165-pounder Lucas Jeske (SO, St. Michael, Minn./St. Michael-Albertville HS) suffered his first loss of the year in a 2-1 day, finishing sixth. He is now 29-1 on the season.
Tone Fuenffinger (SR, Hibbing, Minn./Hibbing HS) finished fourth at 174, while Bryce Zdanovec (SR, Little Chute, Wis./Little Chute HS) finished sixth at 157. Jackson Graham (SR, Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley HS) earned consolation title honors at 174.
Augsburg travels to face Saint John’s in a dual meet on Friday (2/9) at 7 p.m.
AUGSBURG RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
- 149: Aaron Wilson 4-1, co-champion; Alex Wilson 4-0, co-champion; Shawn Barth 2-2; Cruze Hurlburt 1-2; Boone Young 1-2.
- 157: Ryan Epps 4-0, champion; Bryce Zdanovec 3-1, 6th place; Kayde Bartels 1-2; Joshua Verbeten 1-2.
- 165: Lucas Jeske 2-1, 6th place; Brady McFarland 1-2; Luke Wilson 0-2.
- 174: Tanner Vassar 4-1, 3rd place; Tone Fuenffinger 3-2, 4th place; Jackson Graham 3-1, consolation champion; Cameron Schmitz 1-2; Solomon Nielsen 0-2.
- 184: Sebastian Larson 4-1, 3rd place; Lorenzo Hernandez 1-2; Jonny Zarnke 1-2.
- 197: Lance Benick 3-1, 2nd place; Wyatt Richardson 4-1, 3rd place; Brent Chambers 0-2.
- HWT: Ethan Hofacker 0-2.