In a battle of two top 10 ranked teams, the #1 nationally ranked St. Cloud State wrestling team (17-0, 6-0 NSIC) will square off against #6 ranked Upper Iowa University (9-3, 5-1 NSIC) on Thursday, Feb. 8 at 7 p.m. in Halenbeck Hall.
The match has also been designated as SCSU wrestling Alumni Night. All former SCSU wrestlers are encouraged to come back to cheer on the Huskies and also stop by Howie’s Sports Bar and Grill in downtown for a post-match social. The SCSU alumni will be saluted during intermission at the dual match against Upper Iowa on Feb. 8.
If you are not able to attend the match, fans can follow all the action at the links listed below:
SCSU Wrestling Notes and News
- SCSU was ranked #1 in the latest NCAA DII national poll. Individually, Larry Bomstad (157) was ranked #1 in the nation, while Brett Velasquez was #5 at 125. James Pleski was ranked first at 149 and Jarred Oftedahl was ranked third at 141. Travis Holt is now ranked #6 at 165, Kolton Eischens is ranked 3rd at 174 and Brady Nelson is ranked #8 at 184. At 197, Vince Dietz earned a 6th place ranking and Lawrence Phillips was ranked #10 at 285.
- SCSU captured its second consecutive NWCA DII National Duals championship on Jan. 4-5 in Fort Wayne, Ind.
- SCSU is the six-time defending NSIC champions and has won league titles in 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.
- SCSU has not lost a dual match in NSIC action since an 18-13 loss at Augustana on Jan. 27, 2011.
- SCSU owns a 17-0, 6-0 NSIC record this season. The Huskies have now won 26 consecutive dual matches dating back to 2016-17.
- SCSU will return home on Feb. 8 for an NSIC match against #6 Upper Iowa at 7 p.m. This match has been designated as SCSU Wrestling Alumni Night.
- On Feb. 2, the Huskies scored a 45-0 win at Minnesota State Moorhead and on Feb. 3, the Huskies tallied a 19-13 win at #16 Minnesota State Mankato.
- SCSU will complete its regular season with a Feb. 15 match at home against Augustana. The match has been designated as Senior Night and the action on the mat begins at 7 p.m. in Halenbeck Hall.
- SCSU will host the 2018 NCAA DII Super 3 Regional tournament at Halenbeck Hall on Feb. 23-24. Fans should make plans now to attend this exciting NCAA event right here in St. Cloud.
- At 125-pounds, SCSU’s Brett Velasquez scored a pair of wins in action against Minnesota State Moorhead and Minnesota State Mankato. #5 Velasquez is 20-2 on the season.In action at 141 pounds, #3 Jarred Oftedahl is 22-2 on the season. At 149-pounds, #1 James Pleski is 20-1 on the season and he collected a victory over #11 Kyle Rathman of MSU on Feb. 3.
- The SCSU 20-win club this season includes Larry Bomstad (20-2), Vince Dietz (25-2), Kolton Eischens (24-3), Travis Holt (20-3), Jarred Oftedahl (22-2), Lawrence Phillips (23-4), James Pleski (20-1), Brett Velasquez (20-2) and Ryan Rodorigo (22-8).
- Lawrence Phillips leads SCSU with 12 falls and Vince Dietz has 10 falls this winter.
SCSU’s Probable Starters vs. Upper Iowa
125: #5 Brett Velasquez (20-2) OR Brandon Briggs (8-4)
133: Adam Hedin (14-6) OR Shiquan Hall (11-1)
141: #3 Jarred Oftedahl (22-2)
149: #1 James Pleski (20-1) OR Jake Barzowski (20-3)
157: #1 Larry Bomstad (20-2) OR Brett Stolarzyk (6-5)
165: #6 Travis Holt (20-3) OR Devin FitzPatrick (17-3)
174: #3 Kolton Eischens (24-3)
184: Tyree Overton (10-5) or #8 Brady Nelson (7-1)
197: #6 Vince Dietz (25-2)
285: #10 Lawrence Phillips (23-4)