The #1 ranked St. Cloud State University wrestling team (19-0, 7-0 NSIC) will complete the regular season portion of its 2017-18 schedule with a 7 p.m. home match against NSIC rival Augustana University (11-3, 6-1 NSIC) on Thursday, Feb. 15.
A victory for the Huskies would give them sole possession of first place in the NSIC standings. Thanks to a victory by Upper Iowa over Augustana on Feb. 11, the Huskies have already clinched a share of the NSIC regular season championship. SCSU has now won seven consecutive conference titles under the leadership of head coach Steve Costanzo. The Huskies have gained the league’s top spot in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.
SCSU has not lost a match in NSIC dual meet action since an 18-13 setback on Jan. 27, 2011. The Huskies have since won 60 consecutive dual meets in NSIC competition. Overall, SCSU has not lost a dual meet since a 22-17 setback against Indianapolis on Jan. 14, 2017. SCSU has since won 27 consecutive dual meets.
The match against Augustana has been designated as a Youth Night at Halenbeck Hall with all youth in grades K-12 admitted for just $1. Adult admission for this match will be $5. As always, SCSU students are admitted FREE to all regular season home matches in 2017-18.
As a special tribute, the 2017-18 St. Cloud State seniors will be saluted during the match vs. Augustana. This group of outstanding student-athletes includes Alex Anaya, Larry Bomstad, Travis Holt, Jarred Oftedahl, Austin Rake, Joel Salomon, Brett Stolarzyk and Taner Trembley.This fine group of student-athletes has combined for Five NSIC Championships, three NWCA National Dual Championships, two Super Region 3 Championships, two NCAA National Runners-up finishes, two NCAA National Championships and a combined team dual meet mark of 107-5 overall and 45-0 mark in the NSIC! Academically, these student-athletes have earned: 5 consecutive top 25 NWCA All-Academic team finishes and have a combined cumulative GPA of a 2.93.
Fans can watch the match live at https://portal.
Fans can follow live stats at SCSU vs. Augustana
St. Cloud State Wrestling Team Notes:
- SCSU was ranked #1 in the latest NCAA DII national poll. Individually, Larry Bomstad (157) was ranked #1 in the nation, while Brett Velasquez was #5 at 125. James Pleski was ranked first at 149 and Jarred Oftedahl was ranked third at 141. Travis Holt is now ranked #6 at 165, Kolton Eischens is ranked 3rd at 174 and Brady Nelson is ranked #8 at 184. At 197, Vince Dietz earned an 6th place ranking and Lawrence Phillips was ranked #10 at 285.
- SCSU captured its second consecutive NWCA DII National Duals championship on Jan. 4-5 in Fort Wayne, Ind.
- SCSU is the six-time defending NSIC champions and has won league titles in 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.
- SCSU has not lost a dual match in NSIC action since an 18-13 loss at Augustana on Jan. 27, 2011.
- SCSU owns an 18-0, 7-0 NSIC record this season. The Huskies have now won 27 consecutive dual matches dating back to 2016-17.
- SCSU will return home on Feb. 15 for an NSIC match against Augustana at 7 p.m. This match has been designated as SCSU Wrestling Senior Night. A victory over Augustana would help the Huskies clinch their seventh consecutive NSIC championships – all under the leadership of head coach Steve Costanzo.
- On Feb. 7, the Huskies scored a crucial 33-6 win at home against #6 Upper Iowa.
- Lawrence Phillips owns a 24-4 record at 285 for the Huskies with 12 falls. Other top records for the Huskies include Kolton Eischens at 25-3, Vince Dietz at 26-2, James Pleski at 21-1, Brett Velasquez at 21-2 and Jarred Oftedahl at 23-2.
- SCSU will host the 2018 NCAA DII Super 3 Regional tournament at Halenbeck Hall on Feb. 23-24.
- SCSU’s Brett Velasquez was named the NSIC Wrestler of the Week on Feb. 12. Velasquez posted a 22-7 tech fall win over #6 ranked Maleek Williams of Upper Iowa on Feb. 8. The time of the tech fall was 6:28. The victory completed a 33-6 dual victory for the Huskies over #6 ranked Upper Iowa. Velasquez is 21-2 on the season and ranked #5 in the latest NCAA Division II wrestling rankings. He is a two-time All-American for the Huskies and the 2016 NCAA champion at 125-pounds. In his collegiate career, Velasquez is now 71-7.
- At 125-pounds, SCSU’s #5 Brett Velasquez made a statement in the final match of the Huskies’ dual against Upper Iowa on Feb. 7. Velasquez charted a big 22-7 tech fall win over the Peacocks’ #6 ranked Maleek Williams. #3 Kolton Eischens gained a tech fall win at 174-pounds over Upper Iowa’s #8 ranked Jordan Gundrum. Eischens is now 25-3 this season.
WATCH NWCA DII NATIONAL DUALS ON FOX COLLEGE SPORTS:
Fans can watch a replay of the 2018 NWCA DII National Duals on Fox College Sports. Here is a schedule of viewing options:
Channel: Fox College Sports Atlantic
Channel: Fox College Sports Central
Channel: Fox College Sports Pacific
PROBABLE STARTERS FOR FEB. 15:125: SCSU – #5 Brett Velasquez (21-2) OR Brandon Briggs (8-4)
AU – Brandon Carroll (8-8) or Ethan Cota (11-6)
133: SCSU – Adam Hedin(14-6) OR Shiquan Hall (11-2)
AU – Brayden Curry (16-10)
141: SCSU – #3 Jarred Oftedahl (23-2)
AU: Keaten Schorr (18-4)
149: SCSU – #1 James Pleski (21-1) OR Jake Barzowski (20-3)
AU – Oscar Ramirez (17-9)
157: SCSU – #1 Larry Bomstad (21-2) OR Brett Stolarzyk (6-5)
AU: Bailey Neises (14-9)
165: SCSU – #6 Travis Holt (20-3) OR Devin FitzPatrick (18-3)
AU: Regan Bye (16-9) or Ben Kelvington (17-4)
174: SCSU – #3 Kolton Eischens (25-3)
AU – Lukas Poloncic (15-12)
184: SCSU – Tyree Overton (10-5) OR #8 Brady Nelson (7-2)
AU – #7 Aero Amo (9-2)
197: SCSU – #6 Vince Dietz (26-2)
AU – Clayton Wahlstrom (22-9)
285: SCSU – #10 Lawrence Phillips (24-4)
AU – Luke Nohns (13-7) or Lane Lettau Sr 10-10