The #1 ranked St. Cloud State University wrestling team (15-0, 4-0 NSIC) will continue its travel this week with a pair of NSIC dual matches. On Thursday, Feb. 1, SCSU will match up with Minnesota State Moorhead (1-6, 0-4 NSIC) at 7 p.m. The Huskies will then complete their weekend with a 2 p.m. dual match at #16 Minnesota State Mankato (5-3, 3-2 NSIC) on Saturday, Feb. 3.
Fans can follow all the action from the Huskies’ matches on the road, please visit the links listed below:
Probable Starters for SCSU on Feb. 1 & 3:
125: #5 Brett Velasquez (18-2) or Brandon Briggs (8-4)
133: Adam Hedin (13-6) or Shiquan Hall (10-1)
141: #3 Jarred Oftedahl (20-2)
149: #1 James Pleski (18-1) or Jake Barzowski (20-3)
157: #1 Larry Bomstad (20-1) or Brett Stolarzyk (5-5)
165: #6 Travis Holt (19-3) or Devin FitzPatrick (16-3)
174: #3 Kolton Eischens (23-2)
184: Tyree Overton (10-4) or Brady Nelson (6-1)
197: #6 Vince Dietz (24-1)
285: #10 Lawrence Phillips (21-4)
St. Cloud State Wrestling News and Notes:
- SCSU was ranked #1 in the latest NCAA DII national poll. Individually, Larry Bomstad (157) was ranked #1 in the nation, while Brett Velasquez was #5 at 125. James Pleski was ranked first at 149 and Jarred Oftedahl was ranked third at 141. Travis Holt is now ranked #6 at 165 and Kolton Eischens is ranked 3rd at 174. At 197, Vince Dietz earned a 6th place ranking and Lawrence Phillips was ranked #10 at 285.
- SCSU captured its second consecutive NWCA DII National Duals championship on Jan. 4-5 in Fort Wayne, Ind.
- SCSU is the six-time defending NSIC champions and has won league titles in 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.
- SCSU has not lost a dual match to Northern State since a 25-12 setback on Jan. 12, 2006. SCSU has not lost a dual match in NSIC action since an 18-13 loss at Augustana on Jan. 27, 2011.
- SCSU owns a 15-0, 4-0 NSIC record this season. The Huskies have now won 24 consecutive dual matches dating back to 2016-17.
- SCSU will continue its 2017-18 season with a trip to Minnesota State Moorhead on Feb. 1 and a match at Minnesota State Mankato on Feb. 3.
- On Jan. 25, the Huskies charted a 42-3 win at Northern State. Of note, SCSU has wrestled 14 dual matches away from home and only one home dual in 2017-18.
- SCSU will host the 2018 NCAA DII Super 3 Regional tournament at Halenbeck Hall on Feb. 23-24.
- Shiquan Hall won the top spot in the 133-pound bracket at the North Country Open on Jan. 27 in Collegeville. He went 3-0 and that included a 3:45 pin against North Dakota State’s Sawyer Degen in the title bout.
- #5 Brett Velasquez, Joel Salomon, #3 Jarred Oftedahl and #6 Vince Dietz all recorded falls during the Huskies’ 42-3 win at Northern State on Jan. 25.
- The SCSU match on Feb. 8 at Halenbeck Hall has been designated as Alumni Night and the home match on Feb. 15 will be Senior Day in Halenbeck Hall.
- The last time SCSU lost a match to Minnesota State Mankato was on Feb. 19, 2009. The last time SCSU lost a match to Minnesota State Moorhead was Jan. 9, 2007.
- Check out the current SCSU Team Stats for 2017-18