HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. – South Dakota State University wrestlers Henry Pohlmeyer and Tanner Sloan advanced to the second day of competition at the Ken Kraft Midlands Championships with strong showings Saturday at Sears Centre Arena.
The highest-seeded wrestler in the tournament for the Jackrabbits at No. 9, Pohlmeyer reached the quarterfinals with victories in each of his first two matches. The junior from Johnston, Iowa, opened with a 4-1 decision over Michigan’s Ben Lamantia, then pulled out a 2-1 victory over No. 8 Alfred Bannister of Maryland in an overtime tiebreaker.
Pohlmeyer met top-seeded Matthew Kolodzik of Princeton in the evening
Sloan, who was competing unattached, sent shockwaves through the tournament by knocking off three seeded wrestlers in a row to reach the semifinals. A true freshman from Alburnett, Iowa, Sloan pulled out a 5-4 victory over 10th-seeded Josh Hokit of Fresno State, followed by a 10-3 victory over seventh-seeded Brandon Whitman of North Carolina.
In the night session, Sloan trailed second-seeded and fourth-ranked Jacob Warner of Iowa by a 3-2 count after one period. Sloan then outscored Warner 12-0 in the second period with a reversal, three 2-point near-falls and a 4-point near-fall. He finished off Warner with another 4-point near-fall in the third period for a 19-3 technical fall.
Sloan will face sixth-seeded Lucas Davison of host Northwestern Sunday afternoon.
Junior Martin Mueller joined Sloan in the Round of 16 in the 197-pound division with a 4-3 decision over No. 8 Thomas Lane of Cal Poly.
Four other Jackrabbits competed in Saturday’s evening session, but were later eliminated. At 157 pounds, Colten Carlson opened the day with back-to-back major decisions before falling to a pair of seeded wrestlers.
Zach Carlson turned in a 3-2 record at 184 pounds, winning twice by major decision and adding a 7-3 decision over 11th-seeded Anthony Mancini of Franklin & Marshall.
Logan Peterson at 165 pounds and heavyweight Blake Wolters each reeled off three consecutive wins after dropping their initial matches to seeded competitors. A senior, Peterson recorded a pair of wins in the waning seconds, while Wolters began a string of close victories with a 3-1 overtime decision over teammate Bowen McConville.
In the team standings, the Jackrabbits are tied for 24th with 17.5 points. Iowa leads the field with 114.5 points, followed by Northern Iowa with 76. Wisconsin (69), Northwestern (68.5) and Princeton (62) round out the top five.
Action Sunday begins at noon.
141 Pounds: Aric Williams, R-Fr., Pierre (1-2 record)
- dec. Tucker Ribman, Harvard, 9-5
- lost to Tristan Moran, Wisconsin, by fall 3:38
- lost to Pat D’Arcy, unattached, by dec., 4-5
149 Pounds: #9 Henry Pohlmeyer, Jr., Johnston, Iowa (2-1 record)
- dec. Ben Lamantia, Michigan, 4-1
- dec. #8 Alfred Bannister, Maryland, 2-1 (TB-1)
- lost to #1 Matthew Kolodzik, Princeton, 2-5
Pohlmeyer vs. #15 Shayne Oster, Northwestern, on Sunday
157 Pounds: Colten Carlson, So., Willmar, Minn. (2-2 record)
- major dec. Austin Singer, Purdue, 17-5
- major dec. Zack Velasquez, Northern Illinois, 20-8
- lost to #1 Ryan Deakin, Northwestern, by fall 3:40
- lost to #12 Jeren Glosser, Iowa, by decision, 1-5
165 Pounds: Logan Peterson, Sr., Lake Lillian, Minn. (3-2 record)
- lost to #7 Jonathan Viruet, Brown, by dec., 2-5
- dec Nick Gasbarro, Illinois, 5-2
- dec. Austin Murphy, Campbell, 3-2
- dec. Kellen Ekern, Old Dominion-unattached, 4-3
- lost to Emil Soehnlen, Purdue, by fall 1:26
174 Pounds: Brett Bye, Jr., Vermillion (0-2 record)
- lost to Ryan Karoly, North Carolina-unattached, by fall 2:47
- lost to Nick Stepahni, Bucknell, by dec., 3-4
174 Pounds: Devon Sievers, R-Fr., Gary (0-2 record)
- lost to #8 Mitch Bowman, Iowa, by fall 3:26
- lost to Brian Krasowski, Penn, by tech. fall, 0-16
184 Pounds: Zach Carlson, Jr., Kerkhoven, Minn. (3-2 record)
- major dec., Ben Cushman, Central Michigan-unattached, 13-1
- lost to Jackson Hemauer, Fresno State, by dec., 2-4
- dec. #11 Anthony Mancini, Franklin & Marshall, 7-3
- major dec. Michael Aldrich, Northern Illinois, 11-1
- lost to Kyle Jasenski, Maryland, by dec., 6-10
184 Pounds: Samuel Grove, R-Fr., Moorhead, Minn. (0-2 record)
- lost to #3 Kevin Parker, Princeton, by major dec., 0-12
- lost to Christopher Kober, Campbell, by dec., 2-5
197 Pounds: Martin Mueller, Jr., Rapid City (1-2 record)
- dec. #8 Thomas Lane, Cal Poly, 4-3
- lost to #9 Andre Lee, Illinois, by dec., 5-10
- lost to Beau Breske, Wisconsin-unattached, by fall 7:55
285 Pounds: Alex Aarsvold, R-Fr., Zumbrota, Minn. (0-2 record)
- lost to Brady Gilliland-Daniel, Arizona State, by dec., 2-6
- lost to Tommy Helton, SIU-Edwardsville, by dec., 1-5
285 Pounds: Blake Wolters, So., Pipestone, Minn. (3-2 record)
- lost to #8 Conan Jennings, Northwestern, by fall 4:33
- dec. Bowen McConville, South Dakota State-unattached, 3-1 (SV-1)
- dec. Duece Rachal, Illinois, 4-2
- dec. Laith Alsous, Campbell, 2-1
- lost to Aaron Costello, Iowa, by major dec., 3-11
141 Pounds: #15 Clay Carlson (1-2 record)
- lost to Corey Shie, Army, by tech. fall, 4-20
- major dec. Jerad Karlen, unattached, 17-8
- lost to Patrick Quinlan, Franklin & Marshall, by dec., 6-12
141 Pounds: Zach Price (0-2 record)
- lost to Peter Lipari, Rutgers, by major dec, 1-10
- lost to Alec White, Purdue, by dec., 7-9
165 Pounds: Kenny O’Neil (2-2 record)
- dec. Nick Gasbarro, Illinois, 4-2
- lost to #8 Jacen Petersen, Arizona State, by fall 4:11
- dec. Blake Montrie, Central Michigan, 2-1
- lost to #9 Quentin Perez, Campbell-unattached, by major dec., 1-12
197 Pounds: Tanner Sloan (3-0 record)
- dec. #10 Josh Hokit, Fresno State, 5-4
- dec. #7 Brandon Whitman, North Carolina-unattached, 10-3
- tech. fall #2 Jacob Warner, Iowa, 19-3
Sloan vs. #6 Lucas Davison, Northwestern, on Sunday
- Pounds: Bowen McConville (0-2 record)
- lost to #7 A.J. Nevills, Fresno State, by major dec., 4-14
- lost to Blake Wolters, South Dakota State, by dec., 1-3 (SV-1)