The #2 nationally ranked St. Cloud State University wrestling team (11-0, 2-0 NSIC) returns to action on Saturday, Jan. 12 with three matches at the 2019 Wisconsin-Parkside Ranger Duals in Kenosha, Wisc.
This tournament will feature some of the nation’s top NCAA Division II wrestling programs and the Huskies will start things off with a 9 a.m. match against #5 ranked McKendree (4-2). Last year at the Ranger Duals, SCSU posted a 29-9 victory over the Bearcats. In the second round, SCSU will tangle with host Wisconsin-Parkside at 10:30 a.m. The Rangers own a 2-2 record this season. In the last meeting between these two programs, SCSU posted a 27-9 win at the NWCA DII National Duals in 2017.
The trip will be completed for the Huskies with a Noon match on Jan. 12 against #18 Indianapolis (2-3). SCSU posted a 32-6 win vs. Indianapolis at the 2018 NWCA DII National Duals in the last meeting between these two teams. Of note, SCSU brings a 39 match consecutive win streak into the Ranger Duals with the last loss for the Huskies coming against Indianapolis on Jan. 14, 2017 (lost 22-17) at the Ranger Duals in Kenosha.
Fans can follow stats and results at TrackWrestling.com
The SCSU vs. Parkside match is also scheduled to have live video streaming of the match. You can watch the match at https://team1sports.com/Parkside/
SCSU WRESTLING NEWS AND NOTES:
- The #2 ranked St. Cloud State University wrestling team (11-0, 2-0 NSIC) captured its third consecutive NWCA DII National Duals championship with a dominant 35-6 victory over Notre Dame (Ohio) in the title match on Saturday, Jan. 5 in Louisville, Kentucky. The Huskies ended their two-day trip to the NWCA DII National Duals with a 4-0 record that included wins over Seton Hill, #21 Upper Iowa, #1 Nebraska Kearney and #3 Notre Dame (OH).
- SCSU head coach Steve Costanzo needs one more victory to hit the 200 win plateau here at St. Cloud State. His current career record with the Huskies stands at 199-28. He is in his 13th season at SCSU and joined the staff in 2006-07. In his college wrestling coaching career that dates back to 1999-00, Costanzo owns a 260-58-2 career record. His win rate at SCSU is a lofty 87.7%.
- On the topic of Costanzo, the Huskies have only lost seven dual matches since 2010-11. SCSU has won seven NSIC titles under the leadership of Costanzo, and the Huskies have won three NCAA DII national titles in 2015, 2016 and 2018. SCSU has not lost an NSIC dual match since Jan. 27, 2011, and the Huskies currently own a 55 match win streak in NSIC dual match competition.
- Brett Velasquez was named the NSIC Wrestler of the Week on Jan. 7. He earned the honor after posting a 4-0 record at the NWCA DII Duals, which includes wins over nationally ranked #10 Maleek Williams of Upper Iowa and #2 Josh Portillo of Nebraska-Kearney. Velasquez is the nation’s #1 ranked wrestler at 125-pounds and he currently owns an 11-0 record with three falls in 2018-19.
- SCSU’s Vince Dietz is also ranked #1 in the nation for the Huskies at 197-pounds. He is 16-0 with six falls this season and most recently charted a perfect 4-0 record at the NWCA Duals.
- As a team, SCSU was ranked #2 in the last NCAA DII poll. Of note, SCSU responded to the nationally ranking by posting an impressive 22-15 win over #1 ranked Nerbaska-Kearney at the NWCA DII Duals. In the two previous national polls, SCSU had been ranked #1 in the nation.
- Individually, SCSU had eight wrestlers ranked in the latest DII polls. This list includes #1 Velasquez (125), #1 Dietz (197), #3 Kolton Eischens (174), #3 James Pleski (149), #4 Devin FitzPatrick (165), #7 Jake Barzowski (157), #11 Garrett Vos (133) and #9 Travis Swanson (141).
- Top SCSU wrestlers with just one loss this season include James Pleski (14-1), Kolton Eischens (13-1), Jake Barzowski (10-1) and Garrett Vos (11-1).
- SCSU Wrestling Alumni Day has been set for Jan. 19, when the Huskies take on Mary. A pre-match breakfast will take place at the East Side VFW in St. Cloud and a post-match social will be held at Howie’s Sports Bar and Grill in St. Cloud. All former SCSU wrestlers are invited to participate in this event. Please call 320-308-2996 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more details on this special day at SCSU.