The #1 St. Cloud State University wrestling team (14-0, 2-0 NSIC) will return to its 2018-19 NSIC schedule with a home match against #24 University of Mary (3-1, 1-1 NSIC) on Saturday, Jan. 19. The match in Halenbeck Hall will begin at 2 p.m. and it has been designated as SCSU Wrestling Alumni Day.
The Alumni Day activities will open with a pre-match breakfast at the East Side VFW in St. Cloud, followed by the match at 2 p.m. All SCSU wrestling alumni in attendance will be introduced on the center mat during intermission that day. The fun-filled day will finish with a post-match social at Howie’s Bar and Grill in downtown St. Cloud. For more information on the SCSU Wrestling Alumni Day activities, please call the SCSU wrestling office at 320-308-2996.
Tickets for the match are available at the gate on the day of the match.
SCSU Huskies Wrestling Headlines:
- The Huskies will face #24 ranked University of Mary at Halenbeck Hall on Jan. 19. Since joining the NSIC in 2008-09, the Huskies own a 10-0 dual match record against Mary and last year, SCSU posted a 32-6 win in Bismarck over the Marauders.
- SCSU has won 42 consecutive dual matches dating back to a 22-17 loss to Indianapolis on Jan. 14, 2017. The Huskies have also won 55 consecutive NSIC dual matches dating back to an 18-13 loss to Augustana on Jan. 27, 2011. Since that loss, SCSU has won seven consecutive NSIC titles in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.
- The Huskies gained the #1 ranking in the latest NCAA DII Wrestling Coaches national poll. SCSU also had eight wrestlers ranked individually in the poll, including #1 Brett Velasquez at 125-pounds and #1 Vince Dietz at 197-pounds. The other Huskies ranked nationally in the poll included Garrett Vos (#11 at 133-pounds), Garrett Aldrich (#8 at 141-pounds), James Pleski (#3 at 149-pounds), Jake Barzowski (#7 at 157-pounds), Devin FitzPatrick (#9 at 165-pounds) and Kolton Eischens (#3 at 174-pounds).
- Vince Dietz owns a perfect 19-0 record for the Huskies at 197-pounds, which includes seven falls. Of note, the team record for most wins in a season is 40, which was set by Clint Poster (2014-15 and 2015-16) , Shamus O’Grady (2012-13) and Tad Merritt (2010-11). The most consecutive wins by a Husky is 38 by Clint Poster in 2014-15. Dietz was a runner-up at 197-pounds in 2017-18 at the NCAA Championships.
- At 184-pounds, Chance Helmick now owns a 5-0 record, which includes a 2-0 record at the recent Ranger Duals.
- On the topic of the Ranger Duals, SCSU posted three wins at the tournament in Kenosha, Wisc. on Jan. 12. To open the day, SCSU scored a 36-3 win over #5 McKendree. In the second round, SCSU defeated host UW-Parkside 25-9, and to complete the day, SCSU scored a 34-6 victory over #18 Indianapolis. SCSU is now 14-0, 2-0 NSIC on the season.
- SCSU wrestlers with just one loss this season include Jake Barzowski (13-1 at 157), Kolton Eischens (16-1 at 174), James Pleski (17-1 at 149) and Brett Velasquez (13-1 at 125).
- A three-time All-American and an NCAA DII champion at 125 in 2016, Brett Velasquez currently owns a 93-10 career record at SCSU.
- Vince Dietz joined SCSU’s 100-win club with a 12-3 win over Job Ayala of UW-Parkside on Jan. 12. Dietz currently owns a 101-11 record with the Huskies. He also has 38 falls during his career at SCSU.
- SCSU coach Steve Costanzo won his 200th career dual match with the Huskies vs. McKendree. Costanzo now owns a 202-28 career record at SCSU dating back to 2006-07. He is in his 13th season as head coach at SCSU. On the topic of Costanzo, the Huskies have only lost seven dual matches since 2010-11. SCSU has won seven NSIC titles under the leadership of Costanzo, and the Huskies have won three NCAA DII national titles in 2015, 2016 and 2018. SCSU has not lost an NSIC dual match since Jan. 27, 2011, and the Huskies currently own a 55 match win streak in NSIC dual match competition.
PROBABLE SCSU STARTERS VS.
125: #1 Brett Velasquez. RSr, 13-1, Bennington, NE/Bennington
133: Brandon Briggs, RJr, 8-7, Capron, IL/North Boone OR Adam Hedin, RSo, 4-4, Rosemount, MN/Rosemount
141: #8 Garrett Aldrich, RFr, 2-1, Albert Lea, MN/Albert Lea
149: #3 James Pleski, RJr, 17-1, Forest Lake, MN/Forest Lake
157: #7 Jake Barzowski, RSo, 13-1, Park Ridge, IL/Notre Dame
165: #9 Devin FitzPatrick, RSo, 16-2, Mahtomedi, MN/Mahtomedi
174: #3 Kolton Eischens, Jr, 16-1, Pierz, MN/Pierz
184: Chance Helmick, RSr, 5-0, Beatrice, NE/Beatrice
197: #1 Vince Dietz, RSr, 19-0, Homer Glen, IL/Lockport Township
285: Zach Muller, RFr, 12-3, Woodridge, IL/Westmont OR Noah Ryan, RFr, 10-3, Mantorville, MN/Kasson-Mantorville