The #1 St. Cloud State University wrestling team (15-0, 3-0 NSIC) will continue its 2018-19 season with an NSIC dual match against #25 Northern State University (6-1, 3-1 NSIC) on Thursday, Jan. 24 at 7 p.m. in Halenbeck Hall. The match has been designated as Prep Night at SCSU and all youth in grades up to grade 12 will be admitted for just $1.00.
Tickets are available at the gate on the night of the match at Halenbeck Hall.
The Huskies are fresh from a 35-4 victory over #24 ranked University of Mary and will be looking to extend their 43 consecutive dual match winning streak that dates back to Jan. 14, 2017. The Huskies have also won 56 consecutive NSIC dual matches dating back to an 18-13 loss to Augustana on Jan. 27, 2011. Since that loss, SCSU has won seven consecutive NSIC titles in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.
SCSU WRESTLING NOTES:
- Vince Dietz is now 20-0 on the season for the Huskies and Chance Helmick is now 6-0… James Pleski is now 18-1 and Kolton Eischens is now 17-1 in 2018-19.
- SCSU coach Steve Costanzo now owns a 203-28 career record at SCSU dating back to 2006-07. He is in his 13th season as head coach at SCSU. On the topic of Costanzo, the Huskies have only lost seven dual matches since 2010-11. SCSU has won seven NSIC titles under the leadership of Costanzo, and the Huskies have won three NCAA DII national titles in 2015, 2016 and 2018. SCSU has not lost an NSIC dual match since Jan. 27, 2011, and the Huskies currently own a 56 match win streak in NSIC dual match competition.
- After this weekend, SCSU will hit the road for NSIC dual matches at MSU Moorhead on Jan. 31 and Upper Iowa on Feb. 7. Fans should mark Feb. 9, as it will be final regular season home dual match for the Huskies and it will feature a 2:00 p.m. showdown against NSIC rival Minnesota State, Mankato.
- Overall, the Huskies have recorded 94 falls in matches this season.
- In individual matches wrestled this season, the Huskies are 402-133, which equals a 75.1% winning rate.
- Vince Dietz and Zach Muller lead the Huskies with seven falls apiece this season.
- In duals matches this season, SCSU has outscored its opponents 541-94. This equals a 36.1 scoring average per match, which equals the team record for best season scoring average set in 2015-16. Of note, SCSU set a team record for most team points scored in a dual meet season last year with 683. SCSU currently has five more dual matches left this season, which puts the Huskies in range of breaking that team record in 2018-19.
- Fans should make plans now to attend the upcoming NCAA DII Regional tournament on Feb. 23 in Moorhead, Minn. The Regional tournament serves as a qualifier for the upcoming NCAA DII Championships, which will be held in Cleveland, Ohio on March 8-9.
SCSU Probable Starters on Jan. 24:
125: #1 Brett Velasquez (14-1) or Holden Youngs (1-4)
133: Brandon Briggs (8-8) or Adam Hedin (4-4)
141: #8 Garrett Aldrich (3-1)
149: #3 James Pleski (18-1) or Travis Swanson (14-3)
157: #7 Jake Barzowski (14-1)
165: #9 Devin FitzPatrick (17-2)
174: #3 Kolton Eischens (17-1) or Devin Donovan (13-5)
184: Chance Helmick (6-0)
197: #1 Vince Dietz (20-0)
285: Zach Muller (12-3) or Noah Ryan (11-3)
NSU Probable Starter on Jan. 24:
133- Kenny Jones
141- #5 Kolton Roth
149- #10 Caden Moore
157- Walker Carr
165- Billy Holtan or Tanner Wiese
174- Billy Holtan or Tanner Wiese
184- Kaden Campbell
197- Diego Gallegos
HWT- Harrison Townsend or Caleb Lefferdink