Postseason time is here! The #1 ranked St. Cloud State University wrestling team (20-0, 8-0 NSIC) will travel to Moorhead, Minn. on Feb. 23 for the 2019 NCAA Division II Super V Region meet. The tournament is being hosted by Minnesota State, Moorhead and the action on Feb. 23 will begin at 10 a.m. The finals on Feb. 23 are slated to begin at 6 p.m.
Ticket prices are $7 for adults, $3 for students (K-12) and free under age five. Tickets may be purchased at the gate on the day of the tournament. All session passes are $10 for adults and $5 for students (K-12).
Teams participating in this year’s tournament include: #1 St. Cloud State, MSU Moorhead, #19 Upper Iowa, Augustana, Northern State, #22 Mary, Minot State, Southwest Minnesota State, #17 Minnesota State Mankato and Wisconsin-Parkside.
The regional serves as a qualifying tournament for the 2019 NCAA DII championships, which will be held in Cleveland, Ohi on March 8-9.
The Huskies won the NCAA regional title in 2018 and 2017. The Huskies have also won regional titles in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Of note, SCSU has won NCAA Division II team crowns in 2018, 2016 and 2015.
Fans can follow all the action from the regional – Live Video and Results on Track Wrestling.
The probable starters for the Huskies at the upcoming regional tournament are listed below for each weight division:
125 – Brett Velasquez, RSr. (16-3)
133 – #10 Garrett Vos, RFr. (14-2)
141 – #6 Travis Swanson, RSr. (21-4)
149 – #2 James Pleski, RJr (22-1)
157 – #4 Jake Barzowski, RSo (18-1)
165 – #11 Devin FitzPatrick, RSo (20-3)
174 – #3 Kolton Eischens, RJr (20-2)
184 – #4 Chane Helmick, RSr (11-0)
197 – #1 Vince Dietz, RSr (25-0)
285 – Noah Ryan (16-3)
SCSU Wrestling Notebook:
- The Huskies were ranked #1 in the final regular season NWCA DII rankings. A total of eight Huskies also earned individual national rankings including #1 Vince Dietz at 197, #2 James Pleski at 149 and #3 Kolton Eischens at 174. Other ranked Huskies were Garret Vos (#10 at 133), Travis Swanson (#6 at 141), Jake Barzowski (#4 at 157), Devin FitzPatrick (#11 at 165) and Chance Helmick (#4 at 184).
- NWCA Team Rankings (PDF)
- NWCA Individual Rankings (PDF)
- The Huskies won their eighth consecutive NSIC championship in 2018-19 with a perfect 8-0 record. SCSU has won 61 consecutive NSIC dual matches during that time. The last time SCSU lost a conference dual match was an 18-13 loss to Augustana on Jan. 27, 2011.
- The Huskies have now won 48 consecutive dual matches dating back to Jan. 14, 2017.
- SCSU finished its regular season with a 31-3 dual win at NSIC rival Augustana on Feb. 14 in Sioux Falls. The win moves SCSU’s record to 20-0, 8-0 NSIC. This marked the second consecutive season that SCSU has finished the regular season undefeated and the eighth consecutive year that the Huskies have gone undefeated in NSIC competition. The Huskies have only lost five dual matches since 2011-12.
- Vince Dietz is 25-0 this season for the Huskies.
- 2018-19 SCSU Team Stats