The #1 ranked St. Cloud State University wrestling team (19-0, 7-0 NSIC) will complete the regular season portion of its 2018-19 season with an NSIC dual match at Augustana University (5-3, 4-3 NSIC) on Thursday, Feb. 14 at 7 p.m. in Sioux Falls, S.D.
The match will also be the last regular season NSIC dual of the year for the Huskies, who have already clinched at least a share of the 2018-19 NSIC championship after beating Minnesota State at Halenbeck Hall on Saturday, Feb. 9 by a score of 30-9. The Huskies have now won eight consecutive NSIC championships in 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.
St. Cloud State Wrestling Highlights and Headlines:
- SCSU improved to 19-0, 7-0 NSIC with a 33-4 victory at #15/22 Upper Iowa on Feb. 7 followed by a 30-9 win at home against #10 Minnesota State on Feb. 9. The match on Feb. 9 was designated as Senior Day at SCSU with the following individuals being recognized for their time with the SCSU wrestling program: Vince Dietz, Brett Velasquez, Travis Swanson, Ryan Rodorigo, Lawrence Phillips, Chance Helmick, Taner Trembley and manager Katelyn Walsh.
- The Huskies clinched at least a share of the 2019 NSIC championship with the win over MSU on Feb. 9. This marks the Huskies’ eighth consecutive NSIC title dating back to 2012. SCSU has won 60 consecutive NSIC dual matches during that time. The last time SCSU lost a conference dual match was an 18-13 loss to Augustana on Jan. 27, 2011.
- SCSU received a #1 ranking in the latest NCAA DII rankings and the Huskies have won NCAA DII championships in 2015, 2016 and 2018. The Huskies have also won eight consecutive NSIC championships under the leadership of head coach Steve Costanzo. 10 of SCSU’s wrestlers were ranked in the most recent NCAA individual rankings.
- The Huskies have now won 47 consecutive dual matches dating back to Jan. 14, 2017.
- Individually, SCSU’s Vince Dietz (197) is ranked #1 in his respective weight divisions in the last NCAA II polls. Dietz is 23-0 this year. Other SCSU wrestlers ranked in the last poll were Garrett Vos (11th at 133), Garrett Aldrich (7th at 141), James Pleski (2nd at 149), Jake Barzowski (6th at 157), Devin FitzPatrick (11th at 165) and Kolton Eischens (2nd at 174). Chance Helmick moved into the polls with a #4 ranking at 184 and Zach Muller is now ranked #11 at 285.
- The Huskies will continue their 2018-19 season on Feb. 23 at the NCAA Division II Regional meet, which will be held in Moorhead, Minn. and hosted by Minnesota State University, Moorhead. Doors will open at 9 a.m. on Feb. 23 for spectators and the matches will begin at 10 a.m. The finals session will begin at 6 p.m. on Feb. 23. For ticket information, please call the MSUM athletic department at 218-477-2622.
- Updated SCSU Wrestling Season Stats
Probable Starters for SCSU at Augustana:
125 – #2 Brett Velasquez (15-3
133 – Brandon Briggs (8-9) or #11 Garrett Vos (13-2)
141 – #7 Garrett Aldrich (8-2) or Travis Swanson (20-4)
149 – #2 James Pleski (21-1)
157 – #6 Jake Barzowski (17-1)
165 – #11 Devin FitzPatrick (20-3) or Devin Donovan (16-6)
174 – #2 Kolton Eischens (20-1)
184 – #4 Chance Helmick (10-0)
197 – #1 Vince Dietz (24-0)
285 – #11 Zach Muller (18-4) or Noah Ryan (16-3)