The #2 St. Cloud State University wrestling team (0-0, 0-0 NSIC) will open its 2019-20 season on Saturday, Nov. 9 with a trip the 2019 Journeymen Northeast Duals, which will be held in Troy, N.Y.
The Huskies will open the tournament with a match against American International at 12:00 p.m. (ET) on Nov. 9. SCSU will then challenge #1 ranked Pitt-Johnstown at 2:00 p.m. (ET) and then finish the trip with a 4:00 p.m. (ET) match against Johnson-Wales.
All matches will be held at the Hudson Valley Community College in Troy, N.Y.
The event will gather many of the nation’s top collegiate wrestling programs at the NCAA DI, NCAA II and NCAA DIII levels for competition. Other teams scheduled to compete in Troy this weekend include Purdue, Wyoming, Appalachian State, Rutgers, Sacred Heart, Virginia, Ithaca, and The Citadel.
SCSU WRESTLING NEWS AND NOTES:
- At the recent Black/Red Classic, Team Black posted a 40-0 victory over Team Red on Nov. 1. The evening at Halenbeck Hall also included the unveiling of the Huskies’ 2019 NCAA championship banner. SCSU has now won NCAA DII titles in 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019 under the leadership of head coach Steve Costanzo.
- The Huskies will be led on the mat this season by team captains Kolton Eischens, Tyree Overton, James Pleski and Cameron Teacher.
- In the 2019-20 NSIC preseason poll, SCSU earned the top spot. The Huskies have won eight consecutive NSIC titles and they have not lost a conference dual match since Jan. 27, 2011 vs. Augustana. In fact, SCSU has not lost a dual match since a loss to Indianapolis on Jan. 14, 2017. The Huskies have gone undefeated in dual match action in 2017-18 and 2018-19, and they have won 38 consecutive dual matches since that time.
- In the 2019-20 NWCA Division II wrestling coaches’ poll, SCSU was ranked #2 with 82 points. Pitt-Johnstown just edged the Huskies with 88 points to take the #1 spot in the preseason poll. Last year at the NCAA DII championships, SCSU placed first with 92.5 points and Pitt-Johnstown placed sixth with 54.5 points.
- Individually, SCSU’s Jake Barzowski was ranked #1 in the nation at 157-pounds in the DII preseason polls. He placed third in the nation last year with a 25-3 record.
- SCSU’s other nationally ranked grapplers in the DII preseason poll included Garrett Vos (3rd at 133-pounds), Garrett Aldrich (11th at 141-pounds), James Pleski (#2 at 149-pounds), Devin FitzPatrick (4th at 165-pounds), Kolton Eischens (3rd at 174-pounds) and Tyree Overton (7th at 184-pounds).
- Pleski is in his senior season with the Huskies and has earned three NCAA All-America awards and has won 86 matches during his collegiate career.
- SCSU will be under the leadership once again of head coach Steve Costanzo, who begins his 14th season with the Huskies in 2019-20. He owns a 208-28 record during his tenure with the Huskies and also owns a 269-58-2 career record as a college coach in 20 seasons.
- In recent matches against Pitt-Johnstown, SCSU gained a 37-6 victory on Jan. 5, 2017 at the NWCA DII National Duals and also posted a 30-7 win over Pitt-Johnstown on Jan. 9, 2016 at the DII National Duals.