The St. Cloud State University wrestling team (3-0, 0-0 NSIC) will travel to the 2019 Finn Grinaker Open on Saturday, Nov. 16. The meet is being hosted on the campus of Concordia College in Moorhead, Minn. and the action is scheduled to start at 9:00 a.m.
SCSU WRESTLING NOTEBOOK:
- St. Cloud State University received the #1 ranking in this year’s NSIC preseason poll and the Huskies were ranked #2 in the NCAA DII preseason poll.
- The Huskies opened their 2019-20 dual meet schedule with a 3-0 record at the 2019 Journeymen Northeast Duals in Troy, N.Y. on Nov. 9. SCSU posted a 54-0 win over American International, a 43-0 win over Johnson & Wales and a 31-6 victory over Pitt-Johnstown. Of note, Pitts-Johnstown entered the tournament as the nation’s #1 ranked team and SCSU entered the tournament ranked #2 in the nation.
- The St. Cloud State University wrestling team will open its 2019-20 home schedule with a dual match against Southwest Minnesota State University at 7 p.m. on Nov. 20. The match in Halenbeck Hall has been designated as Military Appreciation/Youth Night. As a way to salute all those who serve our nation through military service, all active military and veterans will be admitted to this key NSIC match for FREE. Just bring your valid military ID or DD214 to show at the gate on the night of this match. In addition, all youth in grades 12 and under will be admitted to the dual against Southwest Minnesota State for just $1.00. This is a great way for young wrestling fans to check out NCAA Division II wrestling at its best. For more information on these two offers, please call the SCSU Athletic Ticket Office at 1-877-SCSUTIX or 320-308-2137.
- St. Cloud State University sophomore Garrett Vos was selected as the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Wrestler of the Week for Nov. 4-10. In action at 133-pounds, Vos opened his 2019-20 season with a 2-0 record at the 2019 Journeymen Northeast Duals in Troy, N.Y. on Nov. 9. Vos carded an 11-6 win over No. 1 ranked Tyler Warner of Pitt-Johnstown to highlight his day. He also posted a 5:43 fall against Hayden Brown of Johnson & Wales, and received a forfeit win over American International in the first dual of the day for SCSU. Vos is a returning All-American for the Huskies and was ranked third in the NCAA DII preseason poll at 133-pounds. His career record at SCSU now stands at 24-5 in two seasons of action on the mats. He is a resident of Bonifacius, Minn. and a graduate of Waconia High School.
- At 165-pounds, Devin FitzPatrick gained a 3-1 win over #2 ranked Devin Austin of Pitt-Johnstown. FtizPatrick was ranked #4 in the DII preseason poll at 165-pounds.
- At 174-pound, #3 ranked Kolton Eischens posted a 6:12 fall victory over Pitt-Johnstown’s Brock Biddle, who is ranked #4 in the nation. Eischens also had a fall in his win vs. AIC.
- In another showdown of top-ranked grapplers at 184, SCSU’s #7 Tyree Overton collected a 2:40 vs. #3 ranked Connor Craig of Pitt-Johnston.
- At 285-pound, rookie Ezayah Oropeza made a top debut for the Huskies with a 3-0 record that included a 13-3 win over Pitt-Johnstown.
- The three victories extended SCSU’s dual match win streak to 51 matches. The Huskies only need to win four more consecutive dual matches to break the team’s current record of 54 consecutive dual match wins set from Jan. 30, 2011 to Jan. 12, 2014. SCSU’s last dual match loss was against Indianapolis on Jan. 14, 2017 (22-17) at the Ranger Duals in Kenosha, Wisc.
- The Huskies have won NCAA DII national titles in 2019, 2018, 2016 and 2015. SCSU has also won eight consecutive NSIC championships since 2012. The Huskies have not lost a conference dual match since a loss to Augustana on Jan. 27, 2011. Of note, SCSU’s last loss at home was a defeat against Upper Iowa on Feb. 14, 2010.
- You can follow the results at the upcoming Finn Grinaker Open on www.trackwrestling.com