Nov. 20 – Military Appreciation Night/Youth Night
The St. Cloud State University wrestling team (3-0, 0-0 NSIC) will open its 2019-20 Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference dual match season on Wednesday, Nov. 20 with a 7:00 p.m. match against Southwest Minnesota State University. The match will take place in SCSU’s Halenbeck Hall and tickets may be purchased at the gate.
The match has been designated as Military Appreciation Night and Youth Night. As a show of appreciation to all those who serve and those who have served our country, St. Cloud State University will admit all active military and veterans along with a guest into the match for FREE. Just show your military ID and/or DD214 at the gate to receive this offer.
The evening has also been designated as Youth Night and all youth in grades 12 or under will be admitted to this match for just $1.00. This is a great way for youngsters to have a chance to watch some great NCAA wrestling and develop their interest in the sport. For more information on either of these special offers for the match on Nov. 20, please call the SCSU Athletic Ticket Office at 320-308-2137 or 1-877-SCSUTIX.
Tickets for the match will be available for purchase at the gate and all SCSU students get in FREE to this match!
SCSU WRESTLING NEWS AND NOTES:
- St. Cloud State enters the match against Southwest Minnesota State with a 3-0 record, which includes a 31-6 victory over #1 Pitt-Johnstown at the 2019 Northeast Duals earlier this season.
- Schedule Change! The Huskies will now wrestle at the Bueva Vista Open in Storm Lake, Iowa on Dec. 7. SCSU was originally slated to compete at the Dragon Open on Dec. 8, but the team will now travel to the meet at Buena Vista on Dec. 7.
- SCSU traveled to the Finn Grinaker Open on Dec. 16 in Moorhead, Minn. The Huskies brought home 16 place finishes from the meet, which included three first-place finishes and five second-place finishes in tournament action.
- Devin Donovan (174), Joseph Bianchini (141), Dominic Murphy (174 Bronze) all captured first-place finishes for the Huskies at the Finn Grinaker Open.
- The three victories at the NE Duals extended SCSU’s dual match win streak to 51 matches. The Huskies only need to win four more consecutive dual matches to break the team’s current record of 54 consecutive dual match wins set from Jan. 30, 2011 to Jan. 12, 2014. SCSU’s last dual match loss was against Indianapolis on Jan. 14, 2017 (22-17) at the Ranger Duals in Kenosha, Wisc.
- The Huskies have won NCAA DII national titles in 2019, 2018, 2016 and 2015. SCSU has also won eight consecutive NSIC championships since 2012. The Huskies have not lost a conference dual match since a loss to Augustana on Jan. 27, 2011. Of note, SCSU’s last loss at home was a defeat against Upper Iowa on Feb. 14, 2010.
- Last year, SCSU posted a 35-6 victory over SMSU at Marshall, Minn.
- The last time, SCSU wrestled against SMSU at home was on Nov. 30, 2017 and the Huskies against a 39-4 win in Halenbeck Hall. The last time SCSU lost a match against SMSU was a 24-18 setback on Feb. 16, 2006 in St. Cloud, Minn.
- SMSU head coach Jesse Nelson is a 1999 graduate of St. Cloud State and a former SCSU wrestler. He is in his 13th season at SMSU.
- SCSU’s next dual meet will be an away match at Northern State on Dec. 13 at 7 p.m. in Aberdeen, S.D.
- SCSU wrestlers ranked nationally in the DII preseason poll are: Garrett Vos (133/3rd), Jake Barzowksi (157/1st), Garrett Aldrich (141/11th), James Pleski (149/2nd), Devin FitzPatrick (165/4th), Eischens (174/3rd) and Tyree Overton (184/7th).
- SCSU returns five All-Americans from last year’s NCAA title team. This group includes Kolton Eischens at 174 (2X), James Pleski at 149 (3X), Devin FitzPatrick at 165, Garrett Vos at 133 and Jake Barzowski at 157.