The #1 ranked St. Cloud State wrestling team (14-0, 6-0 NSIC) will continue its 2019-20 season with a home bout on Thursday, Feb. 13 against #10 ranked Upper Iowa University (12-4, 5-2 NSIC). The match will be held in Halenbeck Hall and the action will begin at 7:00 p.m.
The match against Upper Iowa has also been designated as Prep/Youth Night with all kids in grades 12 and under being admitted to the match for just $1.00. This is a great opportunity to introduce a youngster to the sport of college wrestling and a chance to see two top 10 ranked NCAA DII programs match up against each other. These specially priced tickets can be purchased at the gate on the night of the match. For more details on tickets for this match, please call the SCSU Athletic Ticket Office at 1-877-SCSUTIX or 320-308-2137.
As always, SCSU students get into all regular-season home matches for FREE!
SCSU WRESTLING NEWS AND NOTES:
- St. Cloud State’s Joey Bianchini captured the top spot in the 141-pound bracket for the Huskies at the 2020 Don Parker Open, which was held in Eau Claire, Wisc. on Saturday, Feb. 8. Bianchini charted a perfect 4-0 record to earn the first-place finish and won the title bout with a forfeit against David Flynn of Augsburg and he also scored a 13-5 major decision over DI rival Aaron Meyer of Iowa in the semifinals at the Don Parker Open…Second-place finishes for the Huskies at the tournament were charted by Brandon Betancourt at 125 pounds, Ashton Clark at 133-pounds and Dominic Murphy at 174-pounds. n addition, SCSU’s Robby Horsman placed fourth in the 125-pound bracket for the Huskies, and at 165-pounds, SCSU’s Devin Donovan scored a third-place finish for SCSU and Luke Clark also gained a sixth-place finish in the bracket at 174-pounds. SCSU was well represented in the 184-pound division as William Pitzner and Tyler Ryan both gained fourth-place finishes and Sakai Kelly placed sixth. SCSU added a trip to the Don Parker Open to its schedule after snow canceled the Huskies’ trip earlier this season to the UW-Parkside Ranger Duals in Kenosha, Wisc.
- SCSU senior James Pleski was recently named a SCSU Wolters Kluwer Athlete of the Month for January 2020. Pleski was 8-0 in action during the month of January and helped SCSU win the 2020 NWCA DII National Duals tournament in Louisville, Kentucky on Jan. 10-11.
- SCSU’s nationally ranked wrestlers include Garrett Vos (#2 at 133), Garrett Aldrich (#5 at 141), James Pleski (#2 at 149), Jake Barzowski (#2 at 157), Devin FitzPatrick (#3 at 165), Kolton Eischens (#4 at 174), Tyree Overton (#2 at 184) and Noah Ryan (#9 at 197).
- SCSU received the #1 ranking in the latest NWCA DII Coaches poll. The Huskies have been ranked #1 in the nation in the last three DII national polls and they started the year ranked at #2 in the preseason poll. A convincing 31-6 win over preseason #1 Pitt-Johnstown earlier this season catapulted the Huskies into the number one spot. SCSU currently owns a 14-0, 6-0 NSIC record.
- SCSU will be looking to win its 63rd consecutive dual match this week. SCSU currently owns the NCAA DII record for most consecutive dual match wins with 62, and has not lost a match since losing a decision against Indianapolis on Jan. 14, 2017. Here are some other long streaks in college wrestling: Most consecutive dual wins in NCAA DIII history: 65 wins by Augsburg from 1988-92, and most consecutive wins in NCAA DI history: 76 wins by Oklahoma State from 1937-51. Thanks to Jason Bryant and Don Stoner for this information.
- SCSU owns a 12-match win streak against Upper Iowa, dating back to a 21-15 loss on Feb. 14, 2010. Last year, SCSU scored a 27-12 win over UIU at the NWCA DII National Duals and also posted a 33-4 win over the Peacocks in Fayette, Iowa during the NSIC season. The last time UIU visited St. Cloud, Minn., the Huskies charted a 33-6 win on Feb. 8, 2018. Upper Iowa is currently ranked #10 in the nation with a 12-4, 5-2 NSIC record. UIU is the midst of a two-match losing skid as the Peacocks suffered losses to Augustana (19-12) on Feb. 2 and Minnesota State (22-15) on Feb. 7. Earlier this season, SCSU posted a 33-3 win over Minnesota State and they will host Augustana on Feb. 19 in Halenbeck Hall.
- Still undefeated this season amongst the SCSU starters is Garrett Aldrich with a 14-0 record at 141-pounds and Garrett Vos with a 12-0 record at 133-pounds. SCSU starters with just one loss this season include Joey Bianchini with a 16-1 record at 141-pounds, Kolton Eischens with a 12-1 mark at 174-pounds and Devin FitzPatrick 13-1 at 165-pounds. Kolton Eischens leads SCSU starters this season with seven falls. SCSU top win producers are Bianchini with 16 wins, Ryan with 15 wins and Pleski with 14 wins.
- SCSU’s next schedule home match and final dual of 2019-20 will be on Feb. 19 against NSIC rival Augustana. Wins vs. Upper Iowa and Augustana would help SCSU clinch its ninth consecutive NSIC championship.
- The match against Augustana has been designated as Senior Night and the Huskies will salute its senior wrestlers Kolton Eischens, Tyree Overton, and James Pleski.
PROBABLE STARTERS VS. UPPER IOWA
125: Robby Horsman (10-6) or Brandon Betancourt (5-8)
133: #2 Garrett Vos (12-0)
141: #5 Garrett Aldrich (14-0) or Joey Bianchini (16-1)
149: #2 James Pleski (14-3)
157: #2 Jake Barzowski (13-2)
165: #3 Devin FitzPatrick (13-1) or Devin Donovan (15-2)
174: #4 Kolton Eischens (12-1)
184: #2 Tyree Overton (13-2) or Billy Pitzner (17-4)
197: #9 Noah Ryan (15-2) or Riley Vanik (11-3)
285: Ezayah Oropeza (11-2)