The St. Cloud State University wrestling team (16-0, 8-0 NSIC) will enter postseason competition on Saturday, Feb. 29 with a trip to the 2020 NCAA Division II Super 5 Region championships at the Sioux Falls Arena in Sioux Falls, S.D.
This tournament serves as a qualifier for the upcoming 2020 NCAA Division II wrestling championships, which will take place on March 13-14 at the Denny Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls, S.D.
Adult General Admission: $12
College Student: $5
Youth (Ages 3-18): $5
Youth (Ages 2 and under): FREE
Purchase tickets online
Tickets may be purchased in person at the KELOLAND Box Office inside the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center or via phone at (605) 367-8460. The KELOLAND Box Office is open Monday – Friday 10:00AM – 5:00PM.
NCAA REGIONAL NOTEBOOK:
- The Huskies have won three consecutive NCAA regional titles in 2019, 2018 and 2017. The Huskies have also won NCAA regional titles in 2011, 2012, 2013. The Huskies finished as the regional runner-up in 2016 and 2015 and placed third at the regional meet in 2014.
- James Pleski has won NCAA regional titles at 149-pounds in 2018 and 2019.
- Last year, the Huskies dominated the NCAA regional tournament with a point total of 161.0. McKendree was the regional runner-up last year with 129.00 points.
- In 2019, SCSU wrestlers won eight of the 10 weight bracket titles at the NCAA regional tournament. This included top finishes by Brett Velasquez at 125, Garrett Vos at 133, Travis Swanson at 141, Pleski at 149, Devin FitzPatrick at 165, Kolton Eischens at 174, Chane Helmick at 184 and Vince Dietz at 197.
- The Huskies advance nine wrestlers from last year’s regional meet to the NCAA championships. This list included Velasquez at 125, Vos at 133, Swanson at 141, Pleski at 149, Jake Barzowski at 157, FitzPatrick at 165, Eischens at 174, Helmick at 184 and Dietz at 197. From this group, seven SCSU wrestlers gained All-America awards at the NCAA championships in 2019.
- The Huskies have won NCAA Division II team championships in 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019. SCSU has also won nine consecutive NSIC championships dating back to 2012. At the always rugged NWCA Division II National Duals, SCSU has won six championships since 2012 and the Huskies have won four consecutive NWCA DII National Duals titles – including another win in 2020.
- SCSU wrestlers expected to return to defend their NCAA regional titles in 2020 include Garrett Vos at 133, James Pleski at 149, Devin FitzPatrick at 165 and Kolton Eischens at 174.
- In the latest NWCA DII Coaches Association national poll, SCSU ranked #1 in the nation.
- In the latest NWCA DII Coaches Association individual rankings, SCSU has nine wrestlers ranked nationally. At 133-pounds, Vos was ranked second with a season record of 14-0. Pleski is also ranked second at 149-pounds with a 16-3 record this season and Barzowski owns a #2 national ranking at 157-pounds with a record of 15-2 this winter. At 165-pounds, FitzPatrick maintained his #3 national ranking with a 15-1 overall record, and teammate Tyree Overton is ranked #3 at 184-pounds with a 14-3 record. Senior Kolton Eischens (14-1) is ranked #4 at 174-pounds in the poll and leads SCSU’s starters this year with seven falls. At 197-pounds, Noah Ryan is ranked eighth with a 16-3 record and rookie Ezayah Oropeza moved back into the poll this week with a #10 ranking at 285-pounds. He owns a 12-3 record for the Huskies this winter.