ST. LOUIS – South Dakota State wrestlers Zach Price, Clay Carlson and Tanner Sloan all stand one win away from earning All-America status after each posted a pair of victories in the consolation bracket Friday at the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships at Enterprise Center.
Price, a sophomore from Johnston, Iowa, won a pair of decisions Friday morning, downing Paul Bianchi of Little Rock, 6-2, followed by an 8-4 victory over Jared Van Vleet of Air Force. Price defeated Van Vleet for the second time in two weeks in postseason competition after losing to him during the regular season.
Price is scheduled to face eighth-seeded Chris Cannon of Northwestern in the Friday night session, which begins at 7 p.m.
A sophomore from Willmar, Minnesota, Carlson turned in a pair of bonus-point victories at 141 pounds. Carlson pinned Indiana’s Cayden Rooks at the end of the first period in his opening match of the morning, then recorded a 9-0 major decision over Colin Valdiviez of Northwestern.
Each of Carlson’s first four matches at nationals were against Big Ten Conference opponents, but he is slated to square off against No. 21 Real Woods of Stanford Friday night.
In the afternoon, Sloan tallied a pair of victories in the 197-pound weight class. The sophomore from Alburnett, Iowa, downed Greg Bulsak of Clarion, 6-3, to open the session, then turned in an 8-2 decision over 12th-seeded Lucas Davison of Northwestern.
Sloan is scheduled to face No. 15 Michael Beard of Penn State Friday night.
Two other Jackrabbits had their tournament runs come to an end Friday morning as senior 125-pounder Danny Vega dropped an 8-6 decision to Michael DeAugustino of Northwestern and redshirt freshman Cade DeVos lost 6-3 to Oklahoma State’s Wyatt Sheets in the 157-pound division.
125: #22 Danny Vega, Sr., Tucson, Arizona (1-2 record)
- lost to #11 Dylan Ragusin, Michigan, by dec., 13-10
- def. #27 Gage Curry, American, by tech. fall, 21-4 [6:12]
- lost to #12 Michael DeAugustino, Northwestern, by dec., 8-6
Vega ends season with 15-8 overall record
133: #14 Zach Price, So., Johnston, Iowa (3-1 record)
- def. #19 Chance Rich, CSU Bakersfield, by dec., 4-2 [SV-1]
- lost to #3 Korbin Myers, Virginia Tech, by dec., 6-4
- def. #29 Paul Bianchi, Little Rock, by dec., 6-2
- def. #21 Jared Van Vleet, Air Force, by dec., 8-4
141: #15 Clay Carlson, So., Willmar, Minnesota (3-1 record)
- def. #18 Parker Filius, Purdue, by dec., 7-6
- lost to #2 Nick Lee, Penn State, by major dec., 14-3
- def. #32 Cayden Rooks, Indiana, by fall 2:59
- def. #26 Colin Valdiviez, Northwestern, by major dec., 9-0
157: #18 Cade DeVos, R-Fr., Altoona, Iowa (1-2 record)
- def. #15 Chase Saldate, Michigan State, by dec., 3-1
- lost to #2 Hayden Hidlay, North Carolina State, by tech. fall, 20-3 [5:59]
- lost to #33 Wyatt Sheets, Oklahoma State, by dec., 6-3
DeVos ends season with 14-11 overall record
197: #13 Tanner Sloan, So., Alburnett, Iowa (3-1 record)
- def. #20 Max Shawn, North Carolina, by dec., 4-2
- lost to #4 A.J. Ferrari, Oklahoma State, by dec., 5-0
- def. #14 Greg Bulsak, Clarion, by dec., 6-3
- def. #12 Lucas Davison, Northwestern, by dec., 8-2