ST. LOUIS – After combining for a 4-1 record in Thursday’s opening round at the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships, it was role reversal for South Dakota State’s five national qualifiers during the evening sessions as the Jackrabbits turned in a 1-4 mark at Enterprise Center.
All five Jackrabbits will resume action Friday in the consolation rounds; wrestlers in the lower weights (125-157) will compete at 10 a.m., with competitors in the upper weights (165-285) starting at 2 p.m.
Senior 125-pounder Danny Vega kept his tournament hopes alive by posting the lone Jackrabbit victory over the night in consolation action. Vega led by only a point, 3-2, after the first period of his match against Gage Curry of American University, but turned up the pressure over the next three-plus minutes to post a 21-4 technical fall.
The four other Jackrabbit wrestlers all fell to higher-seeded wrestlers in the Round of 16 Thursday night. At 133 pounds, sophomore Zach Price held his own against third-seeded Korbin Myers of West Virginia before dropping a 6-4 decision.
Clay Carlson and Cade DeVos both faced the No. 2 seeds in their respective weight classes. A sophomore from Willmar, Minnesota, Carlson lost a 14-3 major decision at 141 pounds to Penn State’s Nick Lee, while DeVos was handed a 20-3 technical fall setback by Hayden Hidlay of North Carolina State in the 157-pound weight class.
Closing out the night, Tanner Sloan was defeated for the second time in as many weeks by fourth-seeded A.J. Ferrari of Oklahoma State. Sloan couldn’t get on track offensively in dropping a 5-0 decision to his Big 12 Conference rival.
Following are the Jackrabbits’ scheduled matchups during Friday’s early sessions:
125 – Vega vs. Michael DeAugustino (Northwestern)
133 – Price vs. Paul Bianchi (Little Rock)
141 – Carlson vs. Cayden Rooks (Indiana)
157 – DeVos vs. Wyatt Sheets (Oklahoma State)
197 – Sloan vs. Greg Bulsak (Clarion)
125: #22 Danny Vega, Sr., Tucson, Arizona
- lost to #11 Dylan Ragusin, Michigan, by dec., 13-10
- def. #27 Gage Curry, American, by tech. fall, 21-4 [6:12]
133: #14 Zach Price, So., Johnston, Iowa
- def. #19 Chance Rich, CSU Bakersfield, by dec., 4-2 [SV-1]
- lost to #3 Korbin Myers, Virginia Tech, by dec., 6-4
141: #15 Clay Carlson, So., Willmar, Minnesota
- def. #18 Parker Filius, Purdue, by dec., 7-6
- lost to #2 Nick Lee, Penn State, by major dec., 14-3
157: #18 Cade DeVos, R-Fr., Altoona, Iowa
- def. #15 Chase Saldate, Michigan State, by dec., 3-1
- lost to #2 Hayden Hidlay, North Carolina State, by tech. fall, 20-3 [5:59]
197: #13 Tanner Sloan, So., Alburnett, Iowa
- def. #20 Max Shawn, North Carolina, by dec., 4-2
- lost to #4 A.J. Ferrari, Oklahoma State, by dec., 5-0