IRVING, Texas — Twenty South Dakota State University wrestlers were honored Thursday as members of the 2021 Academic All-Big 12 Wrestling Team.
Leading the Jackrabbit contingent were four-time first-team selection Colten Carlson and three-time first-team honoree Blake Wolters. Sophomore Clay Carlson also was a repeat selection to the first team.
Wolters and Clay Carlson also were recognized for registering perfect 4.0 grade-point averages, along with teammates Gregory Coapstick and Spencer Trenary. League-wide, 12 wrestling student-athletes posted 4.0 GPAs and a total of 125 were honored on the All-Big 12 Wrestling Team.
First-team members consist of those who have maintained a 3.2 or better GPA, while the second-team selections hold a 3.0 to 3.19 GPA.
To qualify, student-athletes must maintain a 3.0 PFA or higher either cumulative or the two previous semesters and must have participated in 20 percent of their team’s scheduled contests. Freshmen and transfers are not eligible in their first year of academic residence. Senior student-athletes who have participated for a minimum of two years and meet all the criteria except percent of participation are also eligible.
Following are South Dakota State’s honorees:
- Trayton Anderson, R-Fr., Northfield, Minnesota; Sport/Recreation Management
- Ethan Bowman, R-Fr., Jamestown, North Dakota; Horticulture
- Clay Carlson, So., Willmar, Minnesota; Animal Science/Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Colten Carlson, Sr., Willmar, Minnesota; Dairy Production
- Nick Casperson, So., Beresford, South Dakota; Exercise Science/Pre-Chiropractic
- Gregory Coapstick, So., Frisco, Texas; Nutrition
- Cade DeVos, R-Fr., Altoona, Iowa; Pre-Pharmacy
- Caleb Gross, R-Fr., Pound, Wisconsin; Civil Engineering
- Daniel Kimball, R-Fr., Buckingham, Iowa; Exploratory Studies
- Cade King, So., Waseca, Minnesota; Business Economics
- Hunter Marko, Sr., Amery, Wisconsin; Interdisciplinary Studies
- Bowen McConville, So., Renton, Washington; Business Economics
- Rylee Molitor, Jr., Sartell, Minnesota; Entrepreneurial Studies
- Kenny O’Neil, So., Prior Lake, Minnesota; Human Biology
- Jacob Schoon, R-Fr., Brookings, South Dakota; Exploratory Studies
- Spencer Trenary, R-Fr., Rolfe, Iowa; Pre-Pharmacy
- Blake Wolters, Sr., Pipestone, Minnesota; Ag and Biosystems Engineering
- Dalton Lakmann, So., Redding, California; Civil Engineering
- Caleb Orris, R-Fr., Clark, South Dakota; Exercise Science/Pre-Physical Therapy
- Tanner Sloan, So., Alburnett, Iowa; Animal Science