DUBUQUE, Iowa — The Augsburg University men’s wrestling team opened its 2021-22 season with a pair of dominant efforts, claiming nine champions and co-champions in competition at the University of Dubuque Jim Fox Invitational and the Luther College Open on Saturday.
A total of 32 Auggies competed on Saturday, 16 varsity wrestlers at the Dubuque meet and 16 White Team (junior varsity) wrestlers at the Luther Open. Combined, the Auggies went 72-39 on the day, with 33 pins, six technical falls, and six major decisions.
The Auggies claimed eight champions and co-champions in six weight classes at the Dubuque meet, along with two co-second-place finishers, two co-third-place finishers, and two fourth-place finishers. The Auggies went 31-14 with 18 pins, two technical falls, and five major decisions at Dubuque.
Solomon Nielsen (SR, Luverne, Minn./Luverne HS) opened his senior campaign with the title at 174 pounds, going 3-0 with a second-period pin and 15-4 major decision win in the finals. Last year’s National Wrestling Coaches Association national runner-up at 174, Nielsen enters this season ranked No. 3 in the preseason NWCA Division III national poll.
Nick Rogge (SR, Eastman, Wis./Prairie du Chien HS) scored a 1:02 pin and 18-0 technical fall to win the 184-pound weight class. Rogge, who finished fifth at the NWCA national meet last season, is ranked No. 10 in this season’s preseason national poll.
Tyler Kim (JR, Burnsville, Minn./Apple Valley HS), last year’s national runner-up at 285 pounds, scored two sub-minute pins and a 13-1 major decision to claim the title on Saturday. He is ranked sixth in the preseason national poll.
Yim-Leej Yang (SO, St. Paul, Minn./Johnson HS) scored a pair of second-period pins to win the title at 125 pounds. Tanner Kroells (JR, Delano, Minn./Delano HS) and Charlie Stuhl (SO, Ellsworth, Wis./Ellsworth HS) shared the title at 149 pounds, and Kaden Reetz (SO, Madison, Wis./Madison Memorial HS) and Tate Torgerson (JR, Isanti, Minn./Cambridge-Isanti HS) shared the crown at 157.
Connor Thorsten (SO, Foley, Minn./Foley HS) and Carl Leuer (SO, St. Michael, Minn./St. Michael-Albertville HS) shared second place at 165, and Justin Stauffacher (JR, Belle Plaine, Minn./Belle Plaine HS (Scott West)) and Kieler Carlson (SO, Lakeland, Minn./Stillwater HS) shared third place at 133.
Aedon Oberdorfer (SO, St. Paul, Minn./Highland Park HS) finished fourth at 141, as did Erick Ramos (SO, Coon Rapids, Minn./Coon Rapids HS) at 184. Carson Murray (SO, Des Moines, Iowa/Dowling Catholic HS) finished fifth at 133, and Tony Esteban (SR, Mesa, Ariz./Desert Ridge HS) finished sixth at 149.
Matt Rogge (FY, Eastman, Wis./Prairie du Chien HS) led the way for the Auggie newcomers at the Luther Open, winning the Silver title at 165 pounds with a 4-0 effort, including a technical fall and major decision.
Three Auggies finished second in Silver divisions at the Luther meet — Derek Steele (FY, Winthrop, Minn./Sibley East HS), Seth Goetzinger (FY, Chatfield, Minn./Chatfield HS) at 165, and Carter Sorenson (FY, Lengby, Minn./Fosston HS) at 174.
Also in Silver divisions, Kyle Romano (FY, Milton, Ga./Cambridge HS) finished third at 149, as did Blake Jagodzinske (FY, Sherburn, Minn./Martin County West HS) at 157. Parker Venz (FY, Farmington, Minn./Farmington HS) placed fourth at 197.
UP NEXT: Augsburg hosts its annual Augsburg Invitational next Saturday (11/20) at 9 a.m. at Si Melby Hall.
DUBUQUE JIM FOX INVITATIONAL – AUGSBURG RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
- 125: Yim-Leej Yang 2-0, 1st place.
- 133: Kieler Carlson 2-1, co-3rd place; Justin Stauffacher 2-1, co-3rd place; Carson Murray 2-2, 5th place;
- 141: Aedon Oberdorfer 2-2, 4th place.
- 149: Tanner Kroells 2-0, co-1st place; Charlie Stuhl 2-0, co-1st place; Tony Esteban 0-3, 6th place.
- 157: Kaden Reetz 2-0, co-1st place; Tate Torgerson 2-0, co-1st place.
- 165: Connor Thorsten 2-1, co-2nd place; Carl Leuer 1-2, co-2nd place.
- 174: Solomon Nielsen 3-0, 1st place.
- 184: Nick Rogge 2-0, 1st place; Erick Ramos 0-2, 4th place.
- 285: Tyler Kim 5-0, 1st place.
LUTHER OPEN – AUGSBURG RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS (ALL SILVER CLASSES)
- 125: Derek Steele 4-1, 2nd place; Wyatt Kaczrowski 5-2, 5th place; Dominic De’Altonaga 0-2.
- 141: Cade Willis 4-1, 5th place; Brock Moore 0-2.
- 149: Kyle Romano 3-1, 3rd place; Lukas Paulson 3-2, 6th place.
- 157: Blake Jagodzinske 4-1, 3rd place; Jacob Heiden 0-2.
- 165: Matt Rogge 4-1, 1st place; Seth Goetzinger 3-1, 2nd place; Max Sokolski 0-2.
- 174: Carter Sorenson 3-1, 2nd place.
- 197: Parker Venz 2-2, 4th place; Tyler Raway 3-2, 5th place.
- 285: Jagger Schack 3-3, 6th place.