ST. CLOUD, Minn. – No. 1 St. Cloud State Wrestling enjoyed a fantastic team performance at the Finn Grinaker Open held at Concordia-Moorhead on Saturday, with nine First Place winners and 17 top-three finishers. No team scores were kept at the open as the Huskies competed against U-Mary, North Dakota State, Minot State, Ridgewater CC, Itasca CC, Northland CTC and host Concordia-Moorhead.
- Nine Huskies won their bracket: Robby Horsman (125 Gold), No. 2 Garrett Vos (133 Gold), No. 1 Joseph Bianchini (141 Gold), Anthony Herrera (157 Gold), Dominic Murphy (174 Gold), Nate Rocheleau (141 Maroon), Nolan Throne (149 Maroon), Jimmy Pierandozzi (157 Maroon) and Sebastian Zamorano (165 Maroon).
- Cameron Riggs (141 Gold), No. 3 Colby Njos (157 Gold), Bryce FitzPatrick (165 Gold), and Blake Thomsen (157 Maroon) all placed second in their weights.
- Tyson Meyer went 4-1 at 184 in his debut open, scoring two major decisions and a tech fall.
- Robby Horsman went 3-0 to win the 125 Gold, posting one pin and a tech fall.
- Nicholas Novak took third at 149 Gold, going 3-1 with all three wins coming by major decision.
- Shaeden Scheidt took third at 174 Gold with a pin and a tech fall.
PLACEMENT MATCH RESULTS
- 133 Finals: No. 2 Garrett Vos over Reece Barnhardt (U-Mary), 8-3
- 141 Finals: No. 1 Joseph Bianchini over Cameron Riggs, 4-2
- 149 Third Place: Nicholas Novak by major decision over Kellen Schauer (Concordia-Moorhead), 9-0
- 157 Finals: Anthony Herrera by tiebreaker over No. 3 Colby Njos, 4-2
- 157 Fifth Place: Blake Legred over Tyler Bents (Concordia-Moorhead), 4-0
- 165 Third Place: Devin Donovan over Jared Head, 6-2
- 174 Finals: Dominic Murphy over Max Bruss (U-Mary), 8-7
- 174 Third Place: Shaeden Scheidt by technical fall over Kaden Spindler (Concordia-Moorhead), 18-0
- 174 Fifth Place: Mac Copeland over Mannix Morgan (NDSU), 5-2
- 184 Third Place: Tyson Meyer over Ayden Friese (Concordia-Moorhead), 5-3
- 141 Finals: Nate Rocheleau pins Sam Kulseth (Concordia-Moorhead) at 2:04
- 141 Fifth Place: Augustus Donovan by major decision over Lance Fretwell (Concordia-Moorhead), 13-4
- 149 Finals: Nolan Throne over Ryan Scherber (U-Mary), 6-0
- 157 Finals: Jimmy Pierandozzi over Blake Thomsen, 4-1
St. Cloud State Wrestling Head Coach Steve Costanzo
“You know, there’s always a lot of ups and downs at these opens. I think that’s part of the reason we like to go to them because we get a good look at all of our guys. Now we go back to the room next week and continue to work on the things we’re still having problems with. Overall, it was good, but we have a lot of work ahead of us.”
The Huskies continue their open schedules with the Dakota Wesleyan Open on Saturday, November 13 in Mitchell, South Dakota.